Melling 10778 oil pump question >

Melling 10778 oil pump question

Notices

Melling 10778 oil pump question

Old 11-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Might be a dumb idea, but how about when you reassemble it you run the pump off of a distributor priming tool run by a variable speed drill with no valve covers on? Then you could jet down your oilers to a point where you are comfortable with the spray and bring up your oil pressure. Lots of variables with regards to oil temperature and viscosity, but maybe you can learn something from the experiment.
Tried that. With cold oil, the oil doesnt shoot out of the orifices, its more like a slow blob of oil flowing out of them.

He has the Keith Eickert models. I think we measured the orifice sizes, but dont remember what they are . Maybe dan does. I want to say they are a little on the large side from what i remember.

I supoose he can try heating the oil up to 200 deg and trying that, or maybe some 0w20

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 11-23-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I`d be afraid that it wouldn`t be enough oil volume to spray the springs. That it would dribble out instead of a nice stream. ??

I need some clear valve covers :-)
It doesn't dribble. I'll get you the proper size hole to feed them. Can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I wanna say i recall some circle track guys running .025 squirters ..?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I wanna say i recall some circle track guys running .025 squirters ..?
Yup, 20 to 30 thousands before you tee them to go to both valve covers. Mild you are always right on your game my brother.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Tried that. With cold oil, the oil doesnt shoot out of the orifices, its more like a slow blob of oil flowing out of them.

He has the Keith Eickert models. I think we measured the orifice sizes, but dont remember what they are . Maybe dan does. I want to say they are a little on the large side from what i remember.

I supoose he can try heating the oil up to 200 deg and trying that, or maybe some 0w20
On the stand heating the oil might be worth a shot to observe oil sparay. I been on the dyno quite a few times and my blower motor I ran in my Baja had a 14 qt oil pan, even running it a couple quarts low we wasted alot of time warming oil up beteween dyno pulls/tuning/changes so now that I have a dyno in my own shop I bought a magnetic heater to stick on oil pans, the ones meant for cars and tractors are only 200 or 300 watts which is really for helping when its cold out, not enough to put a whole lot of heat in, I bought THIS instead: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/buff...FQMLaQod67MC9w
It is almost 600 watts and has a variable rheostat, fwiw, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 11-23-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
On the stand heating the oil might be worth a shot to observe oil sparay. I been on the dyno quite a few times and my blower motor I ran in my Baja had a 14 qt oil pan, even running it a couple quarts low we wasted alot of time warming oil up beteween dyno pulls/tuning/changes so now that I have a dyno in my own shop I bought a magnetic heater to stick on oil pans, the ones meant for cars and tractors are only 200 or 300 watts which is really for helping when its cold out, not enough to pul a whole lot of heat in, I bought THIS instead: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/buff...FQMLaQod67MC9w
wow , I can see a lot of potential uses for something like that, not to mention pre warming engines.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by buck35
wow , I can see a lot of potential uses for something like that, not to mention pre warming engines.
I have asked every dyno operator whos dyno I been on why they dont have anyway to preheat oil while everyone stood around while motor warmed up, you would want the block to warm up amd valve springs etc for 5 minutes of course but 20+ minutes to get decent temp in the oil plus 10 minutes at least after every change adds up to hours of wasted time after 2 or 3 days on the dyno. With a variable rheotstat you dont have to have it so hot it scorches the paint or oil. In MTs case, if they had the bare minimum amount of oil in the motor they were watching squirters on I bet you could get the oil pretty warm.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

They`re a pain in the ass anyway, I gotta have 17 gaskets then line up the all the gaskets and holes and oilers and longer bolts,then because the oilers raise the valve covers now I need spacers and another 17 gaskets to line up with manifolds and more new bolts .. go thru all this $hit to make sure the spring are cool and then 2 distributer screws get loose and take out the motor anyway. What`s the point?
another waste of time idea and more trouble then it`s worth.

rant off
Old 11-24-2015, 04:12 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
On the stand heating the oil might be worth a shot to observe oil sparay. I been on the dyno quite a few times and my blower motor I ran in my Baja had a 14 qt oil pan, even running it a couple quarts low we wasted alot of time warming oil up beteween dyno pulls/tuning/changes so now that I have a dyno in my own shop I bought a magnetic heater to stick on oil pans, the ones meant for cars and tractors are only 200 or 300 watts which is really for helping when its cold out, not enough to put a whole lot of heat in, I bought THIS instead: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/buff...FQMLaQod67MC9w
Just use a hot plate and strap it to the oil pan. Much cheaper. That's what the top fuel guys use to warm up the 60wt they run. If they don't preheat a lot of times the drive shears off the oil pump.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Just use a hot plate and strap it to the oil pan. Much cheaper. That's what the top fuel guys use to warm up the 60wt they run. If they don't preheat a lot of times the drive shears off the oil pump.
I already have a hot plate, I bought thie one I showed because its magnetic and has a nice heavy duty variable rheostat thats 2 feet away from the oil pan,not a flimsy knob like my hot plate. Having 4 heavy dut magnets I can clip it to just about everything using only 2 of them if its narrow or all 4 of them if its wide like my 14 quart pan. Again though, I bought this for the dyno in my shop to save time vs hassle, to do once , sure I would use a hot plate or a electric cell heater but to use often, I didnt mind spending 150$, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.