Notices

Senders

Old 04-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Senders

I have a mixed set of older Gaffrig (Livorsi) and Gaffig Performance gauges in my boat (pieced from here and there).

Oil Pressure: 0-80 PSI (with the low pressure lamp)
Oil Temp: 0-320 deg
Water Temp: 0-240 deg

The above are all Graffig-branded Livorsi gauges.

I bought a couple of new gauges from Gaffrig and while I was at it I ordered senders from them. I've seen that Livorsi and Gaffig work on stock Merc senders so I was assuming that they used the same senders. Now I'm not so sure.

So what's the general consensus? Do I have the right parts? Or do I need to go to Livorsi and order from them?

Thanks!

Last edited by TomZ; 04-14-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a similar issue. I bought a livorsi electronic oil temp gauge. Brand new Merc sender in the oil filter housing. The gauge never moves off the cold side. If I unhook the wire from the sender and ground it, the gauge goes to full hot. So I am not sure if different sender put out different ohms of resistance. The website stated for coolant or oil temp.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

I am curious about this as well. I have read both type of feedback (50/50) on various threads when owners have swapped the original VDO to Livorsi or other brands and only had to change the Fuel Tank Level Sender, then others say that they had to change all the senders.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Reading things from here and there just made things even more confusing so I decided to fire up the boat to see if they worked...

Gaffrig Performance sender/Gaffrig-Livorsi Redline Oil Pressure Gauge:

Cranking gets me about 45 psi on the gauge, but once fired, pressure jumps to 60 psi with a swing to 70 PSI when revving a little. That's consistent with the pressures from my dyno sheet as well as the VDO gauge that was in the boat.

Gaffrig Performance sender/Livorsi 240 degree Water Temp Gauge:

I cannot really tell here because the engine wouldn't build any heat without a load. I did see the gauge move to about 100 degrees after a bit of fiddling.

Gaffrig Performance sender/Gaffrig-Livorso 320 degree Oil Temp Gauge:

I have a ground issue so nothing from that one. Once I get the ground worked out, I'll check it with my heat gun.

Fuel:

My boat originally had VDO Blue Line gauges. The sender is not supposed to work. Interestingly, without any changes I'm seeing about a quarter tank of fuel. Is it correct? Not sure, but I did dump about 20-25 gallons in it back in November on an evacuated tank to get some testing going. I doubt that I've gone through that much with the minimal runtime that she's had.

With the above it looks like the gauges and the senders are a match. I tried to do some electrical testing first, but ended up having issues with my multi-tester. I wanted to hear the engine fire up with the new blower anyway so checking with everything operating seemed like a better way to go!

Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Reading things from here and there just made things even more confusing so I decided to fire up the boat to see if they worked...

Gaffrig Performance sender/Gaffrig-Livorsi Redline Oil Pressure Gauge:

Cranking gets me about 45 psi on the gauge, but once fired, pressure jumps to 60 psi with a swing to 70 PSI when revving a little. That's consistent with the pressures from my dyno sheet as well as the VDO gauge that was in the boat.

Gaffrig Performance sender/Livorsi 240 degree Water Temp Gauge:

I cannot really tell here because the engine wouldn't build any heat without a load. I did see the gauge move to about 100 degrees after a bit of fiddling.

Gaffrig Performance sender/Gaffrig-Livorso 320 degree Oil Temp Gauge:

I have a ground issue so nothing from that one. Once I get the ground worked out, I'll check it with my heat gun.

Fuel:

My boat originally had VDO Blue Line gauges. The sender is not supposed to work. Interestingly, without any changes I'm seeing about a quarter tank of fuel. Is it correct? Not sure, but I did dump about 20-25 gallons in it back in November on an evacuated tank to get some testing going. I doubt that I've gone through that much with the minimal runtime that she's had.

With the above it looks like the gauges and the senders are a match. I tried to do some electrical testing first, but ended up having issues with my multi-tester. I wanted to hear the engine fire up with the new blower anyway so checking with everything operating seemed like a better way to go!

Hope this helps someone.
Great info! I plan on starting my gauge swap this weekend at some point including mounting my Garmin in the Dash panel. You have a picture of your install?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Tom, you did not try to use any of the VDO senders? I also just purchased my Gaffrig gauges (used) and a small Garmin (USPS says today arrival). I am trying to reuse any VDO senders I can, but, will any work?
Distantthunder I am going to try to flush mount Garmin also. I will be working on dash mock-up next week.
Anybody have any info on VDO (Formula) senders with Gaffrig gauges?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Tom, you did not try to use any of the VDO senders? I also just purchased my Gaffrig gauges (used) and a small Garmin (USPS says today arrival). I am trying to reuse any VDO senders I can, but, will any work?
Distantthunder I am going to try to flush mount Garmin also. I will be working on dash mock-up next week.
Anybody have any info on VDO (Formula) senders with Gaffrig gauges?
I have a set of gauges out of a newer Sonic that I received from my buddy and I was going to try and use them but the sender issue may be the deal breaker for me. Might keep the stock VDO's for this season however their accuracy at this point is questionable and that is concerning considering the new engine will be going in next week. I believe I have some grounds that need cleaning but nonetheless, the Garmin will be mounted.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I will try to connect the Gaffrig water temp and oil pressure gauge with the VDO senders this weekend and compare to mechanical gauges on motor. I'll post results when completed.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guys, I know for sure that a VDO-marked engine sending unit will not work. They are euro-spec and will work in reverse direction.

Last edited by TomZ; 04-15-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Was in a rush between meetings...