QV4C Valve Lash >

QV4C Valve Lash

Notices

QV4C Valve Lash

Old 04-24-2016, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default QV4C Valve Lash

Have a set of 1100's with 40 hours. Recently completed Mercury Racings required valve lash maintenance, no change all were within spec. This process is a major pain with a full stagger set up. Interested in thoughts on this process, overkill or just good preventive maintenance?

Last edited by 39 Unlimited; 04-24-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

No btchin... do it. Valve lash is important, even more so on the high hp stuff... the valve needs time to sit on the valveseat to transfer heat out of the valve to the head... thats how the valves are cooled, also excessive lash can increase valve train wear dramatically with the high spring pressures of high output high rpm engines... granted you wont hVe the insane spring pressures like a pushrod engine but still man up an do it. If u use a remote starter control it makes it a much easier job... rm
Old 04-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
No btchin... do it. Valve lash is important, even more so on the high hp stuff... the valve needs time to sit on the valveseat to transfer heat out of the valve to the head... thats how the valves are cooled, also excessive lash can increase valve train wear dramatically with the high spring pressures of high output high rpm engines... granted you wont hVe the insane spring pressures like a pushrod engine but still man up an do it. If u use a remote starter control it makes it a much easier job... rm
Thanks for the feedback! Seemed like excessive maintenance given how difficult this was and how good these engines ran. Sincerely appreciated your perspective.

Gary

Last edited by 39 Unlimited; 04-24-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Registered

No problem my brother, another thing to consider is now that you have a little time on the engines everything is seated in, so nothing should move around much, plus merc is hoping your going to pay out the azz to have their service dept do it and take your money for doing so. They want to see you and your money as often as possible, if they recommend 40 hours you can do it every 50 or 55 hours. Rm
Old 04-24-2016, 04:17 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Merc racing for these are the first 25 hours not 40 hours for all oils changes and the Valve lash checked and adjusted then for that end every 75 hours there on after.; This should be in your owners manual under maintenance intervals as well but not the procedure as how to.

Will add - I have not been to the current Merc racing school as of late so I really do not want to wing it per how to do all of that correctly.

IMO you should buy all the related service manuals and check for all the Service Bulletins per engine and engine serial number to help with whatever you are going to address. Not many experience people out there with these engines to count on for the advance tech help either like per say the SCI engines.

Last edited by BUP; 04-24-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

It is a good idea to check lash. If the lash starts to go away it is a warning there are problems.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Why does this engine have solid cam followers that need lash checked? Don't most modern 4 valve engines have hydraulic valve lash adjusters which require no maintenance?
Old 04-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat
Why does this engine have solid cam followers that need lash checked? Don't most modern 4 valve engines have hydraulic valve lash adjusters which require no maintenance?
No idea why Merc does that. They did the same thing with the 1075s. A lot of companies will refresh the 1075s with a hydraulic roller valvetrain then its good for a couple hundred hours instead of 25...

I actually didn't know the QV4C had solid lifters, I just assumed they evolved to hydraulic like the rest of the world.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Because solid stuff wears faster and requires more maint which is profitable for them considering they currently have the market cornered.......
Old 04-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
No idea why Merc does that. They did the same thing with the 1075s. A lot of companies will refresh the 1075s with a hydraulic roller valvetrain then its good for a couple hundred hours instead of 25...

I actually didn't know the QV4C had solid lifters, I just assumed they evolved to hydraulic like the rest of the world.
Solid equals higher rpm capability and i think you can run more spring pressure and greater ramp opening angles on the camshaft... which equals more hp... all these high dollar bottom ends are good for more rpm than the valve train... id rather run solids and adjust em once or twice a year... something is way out of adjustment you might catch a valve train issue before yo drop a valve and blow up a bun h of high dollar parts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.