Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   High performance piston rings (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/336891-high-performance-piston-rings.html)

getrdunn 04-28-2016 05:56 PM

High performance piston rings

Wondering what most other engine builders are using and if anyone has had any issues with "total seal"? Application is for 565/700 hp NA builds.

14 apache 04-28-2016 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by getrdunn (Post 4433565)
Wondering what most other engine builders are using and if anyone has had any issues with "total seal"? Application is for 565/700 hp NA builds.

Why are you asking this? Are you are having a issue?

endeavour32 04-28-2016 06:56 PM

Dig around in here about total seal, I remember reading to not use them. I don't remember why, but it was pretty much agreed at the time, that the are not the best choice.

getrdunn 04-28-2016 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by endeavour32 (Post 4433581)
Dig around in here about total seal, I remember reading to not use them. I don't remember why, but it was pretty much agreed at the time, that the are not the best choice.

Did a quick search before thread and didn't see much unless comments regarding were buried in the post somewhere.

getrdunn 04-28-2016 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 14 apache (Post 4433569)
Why are you asking this? Are you are having a issue?

Not having issues however was quoted a price for Pistons with total seal rings. I've never used them and am curious. I've heard of street guys liking them but have no experience with myself.

mike tkach 04-28-2016 07:29 PM

i use them a lot,if the bore gets the hone total seal wants they seal great.imo,you can,t beat them in their price range.

getrdunn 04-28-2016 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4433597)
i use them a lot,if the bore gets the hone total seal wants they seal great.imo,you can,t beat them in their price range.

I was originally gonna just use sp hell fires but then they quoted me with the TS. Told them to wait on placing order until I gave the word. just thought I'd ck before giving the go ahead. Seems like just about any internal moving part of an engine there are always pros and cons. I understand that. Some perhaps quality control but most probably human error or oversights then of course it's always the parts fault . Lol.

Black Baja 04-28-2016 08:08 PM

As Mike said block must be honest. I wouldn't let a shop touch the block unless they have an RA meter. Total Seal is hands down the leader in ring technology.

getrdunn 04-28-2016 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Black Baja (Post 4433617)
As Mike said block must be honest. I wouldn't let a shop touch the block unless they have an RA meter. Total Seal is hands down the leader in ring technology.

Yes they do. My blocks and rotating assm will be there anyway prior to assembly. I cked out their website. Pretty interesting with some good material. Learn something everyday.... But guess I forget something everyday also.

getrdunn 04-28-2016 08:43 PM

With the said info does this create any unforeseen issues down the road. (300 plus hours). Again this is assuming block is 100% true. starting out with fresh 9.8/4.600 darts that will require machining anyway.