Notices

Carb size

Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Probably the M-850

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Last edited by SB; 05-31-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Fuel/793/M-850/10002/-1
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, that looks like a really good candidate. The quick fuel being a marine 850 carb, and the AED being a 950 (820cfm or so) wet tested non marine carb, what would you go for and which will be closest out of the box?

Not trying to beat this to death, and I know opinions vary but the discussion really helps me out.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Thanks, that looks like a really good candidate. The quick fuel being a marine 850 carb, and the AED being a 950 (820cfm or so) wet tested non marine carb, what would you go for and which will be closest out of the box?

Not trying to beat this to death, and I know opinions vary but the discussion really helps me out.
Never worked with a ln AED carb. I have with the M850 QFT. The driveability , and afrs were very good out of the box. This was on some 450ish hp 454s. Buddy got sick of fuking with some old 750HP holleys he had, and bought 2 new M850s, and was very happy.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 AM
Registered

I think I will go with the quick fuels then. Having a choke will be nice as Maine can have some cold boating weather in the spring and fall, especially morning starts. Also it being a marine carb to start with is a good thing.

Hopefully I'll be able to get away with just some jet changes to dial it in, as I'm by no means a carb expert. The good thing is that there will be no drilling of anything and any change made can be changed back to how it was.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 409 Likes on 182 Posts

I called Quick Fuel and got it from them, if I remember right it was the same price as Summit.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney
I called Quick Fuel and got it from them, if I remember right it was the same price as Summit.
You are right, I went through summit because it's free shipping and I know it will be here in two days
Old 05-31-2016, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts
Originally Posted by SB
It even looks fast.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
I think I will go with the quick fuels then. Having a choke will be nice as Maine can have some cold boating weather in the spring and fall, especially morning starts. Also it being a marine carb to start with is a good thing.

Hopefully I'll be able to get away with just some jet changes to dial it in, as I'm by no means a carb expert. The good thing is that there will be no drilling of anything and any change made can be changed back to how it was.
Quite honestly I believe you'll be fine with what ever you end up with. Also unless you know your carbs well it's hard saying what you have and what the owner before you may have done to TRICK it/them out. Ya right. I'll leave it at that. Carbs are not difficult you just have to understand them and how they can react to even the simplist mods.

Quote from "Dean Gellner Gellner racing". I can get any carb to work on any engine. I understood what he was saying and didn't take it literally but point gotten. Just lots of time And testing for real time results.

Personally I don't mind giving up a little up top for throttle response. (A little). To original OP when you have some time tear one of your old ones down completely and get your self a Holley/carb book and understand everything about that carb there is to know. Don't trust tricks on the Internet. Purchase a hard copy of David vizards perforformance tuning or similar. Some great usable info to have and can always reference back to it.

If you decide to sell those 800's pm me so I can go through them and use for spares on mine.

John

Last edited by getrdunn; 05-31-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Thats an interesting article. Especially in regards to what the carbs were really flowing at a given RPM.

Has anyone seen an HP Carb without adjustable air bleeds? The HP 950's that I have, are not adjustable, I've never seen that before.
I believe yours may be their early builds. No biggy if they run well don't pet the sweaty stuff. Ha. Easy fix plus a couple other mods and you'll be good to go. Some may already be done though. The engines run well.