Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need advice stat- filled block with water! >

Need advice stat- filled block with water!

Notices

Need advice stat- filled block with water!

Old 03-30-2019, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need advice stat- filled block with water!

My day just got pretty ugly. Since the weather was so good I decided to fire up the motors on the boat, they started and ran fine. Then I got busy with cleaning her up and sorting things for a couple hours, meanwhile I'd left the hose running on the starboard motor. Normally that would just push water through the block and out the exhaust but when I looked in the bilge water coming out the dipstick! &%$#!!!

First things first: What should I do? I just came in to type this out and will head back out and start pumping out oil / water with a suction pump (not going to be easy with cold oil in there and get as much as I can to start with, then will come back in to see what advice you gents may have. I seem to recall a thread where it was advised to fill the motor with diesel?

What would cause this? A leaking riser?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

It might have came through the riser down the cylinders. Get the oil and water out with pump or however you do an oil change. Then pull spark plugs DO NOT CRANK IT OVER TILL PLUGS ARE PULLED and oil is back in the pan. I'm assuming the cylinders will spray water everywhere.

Keep replacing oil till it's clean. You should be fine. Find out how the water got in there. 3 ways, risers gasket/exhaust, intake gasket or head gasket.

Last edited by Rookie; 03-30-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

First thing first is don't tell dad. You'll be alright. Along with what rookie said might wanna shop vac out cylinders after you pull plugs and just spray a little fogging oil in. Maybe make an adapter for end of vac hose with rubber hose or whatever for snuger fit.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:56 PM
Registered

You can just crank over after oil is drained and replaced but the shop vac just an opinion. I've shot a bunch of water out of jet skies cylinders oover the years. Biggest thing is the quicker you get on it the better. If you can pull the drain plug be ideal as water will be on the bottom. Even if you normally don't drain due to your method you can always pull plug til you start getting oil and tighten back up.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Find out how the water got in there. 3 ways, risers gasket/exhaust, intake gasket or head gasket.
there is a fourth,,a cracked block.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

If the front of the boat is tipped down it’ll ingest water even when running, and if it’s just sitting there all of that water is using the exhaust as a funnel into the engine.

Buy buy a couple cases of cheap oil and flush that bugger. Some people add some diesel fuel to the oil to bind the water to the oil to extract it.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Registered

Let's not go there until OT get at lease a case of beer in him but good call. Muffs must fit a lot tighter than ones I've used. You'd think minimal water would get passsed the pump when not turning.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
I wasn't going to bring that up until the others were verified. lol I went through that last year.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:17 PM
Registered

Default Status

Thanks everybody for the input. Just came in, here's the status report:
Pumped out about 7 gallons of water through the dipstick port using a hand pump. Nothings come out but water, and not much is coming out now regardless how much vacuum develops, so I think im down to oil or milkshake which is too cold to pump out by hand. Got both risers and the starboard manifold off, there was several cups of water ONLY in the #4 cylinder manifold chamber. Pulled the plugs on starboard side and only the #4 cylinder was full of water.

I havent taken off the other manifold yet as the first one kicked my ass, I have a herniated l5/s1 disc which I f'd up again about a week ago. I could only pull plug #1 on the port side (am I the only person that cant get most spark plugs out with the manifolds on?). But looking down into the manifold I can see no water like I did on the stbd side.

Im gonna head back out and button her up for the night and continue tomorrow. I'll see if I can reach that drain plug while im out there.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
Yeah let me get that case of beer before going there
Im not sure it even got cold enough this year in Maryland to crack a block (I was away for awhile so maybe then it was). My winterize method is to pump -200 starbrite antifreeze until I see it coming out the exhaust, then I switch to the normal -50 pink stuff and put in another gallon. You would think thats idiot proof but who knows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.