Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Steering cable and helm upgrade, has anyone used the HPS or EXTREME (seestar teleflex >

Steering cable and helm upgrade, has anyone used the HPS or EXTREME (seestar teleflex

Notices

Steering cable and helm upgrade, has anyone used the HPS or EXTREME (seestar teleflex

Old 06-07-2016, 12:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Steering cable and helm upgrade, has anyone used the HPS or EXTREME (seestar teleflex

Would like to upgrade the original helm and cable with new and less play.

And the two (cost effective) options are the HPS or the new

Anyone use these, or have driven with them?

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...ry-steering-2/
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...ical-steering/

Also, both have two versions, NFB or Non-NFB (NFC no feed back) That is a new term for me, never tried both (I assume the original style is non-NFB)

This boat is flying on the pad, and feeling the torque steering is great, so I hope to have the same "feel" Unless there is a good reason to use the NFB version.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody??

Thanks
Old 06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I did replace all my mechanical steering (and the steering cylinder also for that matter) trying to track down excessive play in the system. While there is always some play in this system (assuming the gimbal is in good shape and the play is not there) because of the way the power steering is activated, I had a lot. I went back with the HPS system since that was the best Teleflex offered at the time. I don't have any experience with the Extreme system.

Most high performance sterndrives will require a NFB system. You certainly qualify there. I suppose that if you do not have a NFB system now and you like it that is an option, but the idea of not being able to take your hand off the wheel without having the boat turn, and possibly turn hard, is not very confidence inspiring.

So my suggestion is to replace both the helm and cable with new HPS NFB stuff. If you talk to Teleflex and they convince you to use the Extreme, let me know how it works out.

Dan