Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Trim solenoid question???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/338238-trim-solenoid-question.html)

Tom272Baja 06-12-2016 04:37 PM

Trim solenoid question????

Hey all,
Question,
Last year we noticed when we would launch our boat that sometimes the out drive wouldn't lower right away, we would kind of toggle the switch a few times then it would start working.
Today I was doing a few maintainence checks and had it idling in my driveway.
I once again tried to lower the drive and while it balked it did lower...I ran engine then tried to raise it, it would not even try to raise and even while I was toggling it to try to get it to start it would act like it tried then immediately stop, by this time my outdrive was almost touching concrete.
I tricked it by switching out the lines from the pump and got it to raise but now of course that I switched the lines it won't go down.
The question is, do you think my trim solenoid is shot or the whole pump?
Or something else?
I checked/replaced the switches up on the console so I know that isn't the issue but thinking in my mind the solenoid.
Help

Tom272Baja 06-12-2016 04:39 PM

Oh yeah, the pump has SAE J1171 on it, it's the same boat as described in my avatar.

Baja Rooster 06-12-2016 05:23 PM

Sounds more like a bad switch, but it sounds like you sorted that out. I replace the solenoids often as they're cheap and easy to do and burn out often. The trim limit switches may be going out but you can bypass them down by the pump to see. There are so many different switches on that system it's hard to tell.

Tom272Baja 06-12-2016 06:10 PM

Yeah that's true. Wish it was a bit much more simple.
Lol

GLENAMY 242SS 06-12-2016 07:00 PM

Trim limit switch only has effect on "UP" operation, has NO effect on down.

Pismo10 06-13-2016 08:20 AM

If the pump is not running, change the solenoids. IF the pump is running with no motion then bleed air..

Tom272Baja 06-13-2016 01:12 PM

Ok, I replaced both solenoids with two brand new ones, now it will go down with authority but again will not go up.
Should I start looking at wires or what?
If the pump motor dies will it die period or act as mine is acting? Only going one direction?

Baja Rooster 06-13-2016 01:27 PM

Quite possibly a bad trim limit switch which is easy to bypass as the the wires are right by the pump. Google is your friend on doing that. If that's not the problem then it must be up in the dash switches.

Tom272Baja 06-13-2016 01:34 PM

The weird thing is last year I replaced the trim limit switches and just yesterday the switch on the dash.
I guess that's possible one is bad.
Thanks for the help

Baja Rooster 06-13-2016 01:37 PM

Do not use Sierra as their electronics are junk. My trim switch never worked right and quit after about ten hours of use.