Let's talk ignition

Notices

Let's talk ignition

Old 06-15-2016, 06:09 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
It is the EST. Schweet huh ? No ignition system to buy when swapping to carb.

Keep and connect the two wire harness that goes from coil to distributor.

The other two wire harness that goes to other connector on your coil is the ign + lead and the other is your tach.lead.

The bigger connector with wires that plug into right side of distributor is not needed. If you have an alpha drive , these use a shift interuptor, and can be wired to one of those wires...I'd have to look that up as I forget which one.

That's it . Simple.
Harness to coil that has the red and white wires grouped together:
Red = ignition + power
White = Tach (crimp this to the gey wire coming out of the engine side of engine main harness bullet connector is that tach wire that goes up to the gauge)

If you need to, you can reference page 26 at: http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/96/96HGD4.PDF
Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks SB....I wonder how many of that have switched to carb went and bought new ignition! (like I was getting ready to do)
Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had performance distributor in Memphis TN build me a dui distributor off my engine and boat specs. Timing curve is perfect and couldn't have been easier to install.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Thanks SB....I wonder how many of that have switched to carb went and bought new ignition! (like I was getting ready to do)
A ton !

As example, I did a efi to carb conversion about 12yrs ago, and when I mentioned this online about the distributor the responses, where, well, amazing. And many had done the full MSD dist, coil, and box kit. That's near $700. Yikes ! And again, that was a long time ago.

When you fire up the engine when done, and set the timing, make sure you get the full advance curve as we outlined earlier. As I noted, and am noting again, some replacement ignition modules don't come with a curve or come with an improper one. You never want to assume things.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this OEM crusader inboard, my 92 454's have these dist's oem and the timing info is right out of the crusader manual
Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
A ton !

As example, I did a efi to carb conversion about 12yrs ago, and when I mentioned this online about the distributor the responses, where, well, amazing. And many had done the full MSD dist, coil, and box kit. That's near $700. Yikes ! And again, that was a long time ago.

When you fire up the engine when done, and set the timing, make sure you get the full advance curve as we outlined earlier. As I noted, and am noting again, some replacement ignition modules don't come with a curve or come with an improper one. You never want to assume things.
found out automotive EST dist modules do not have a curve in them like the marine ones do, but might be able to run locked
Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got 2 of Daytona kits with the coils, software and usb connection etc. I was hoping it would bolt in right in place of the Crane components. Of course it's all different.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Just got 2 of Daytona kits with the coils, software and usb connection etc. I was hoping it would bolt in right in place of the Crane components. Of course it's all different.
Did u get the boat running ?
Old 06-15-2016, 03:11 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Did u get the boat running ?
I took a few months off from it to deal with some health stuff. Just have to rewire the ignitions to work with the Daytona boxes and fab the coil/ box brackets then they can be put on the dyno for the last time. Went with the QF marine dominators.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the Daytona sensors CD-1 for my junk. While I'm not forced induction, I still think it's a worthwhile ignition for my application. (Going to use the RPM based timing curve as a start)

Here's a coil bracket I fabed up in my garage. It will mount on the back of the starboard cylinder head:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.