Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4 >

Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4

Notices

Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4

Old 09-27-2002, 06:29 PM
blue64drop

Default Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4

I知 in the middle of installing an M1 HO procharger system on my chaparral villainIII. I知 almost finished w/ the system but now I知 experiencing the fuel system upgrade dilemma. I purchased the aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, the 12304 stainless inline filter, and the 13204 boost reference regulator.

1 problem that I see here is w/ the water separator. I知 not sure where to run it in the system (before or after the pump) the problem I see is that the inlets on the stock mercruiser separator are 1/4" and the A1000 wants 1/2" line minimum. I was thinking of running 2 separators (inline between regulator and dual feed carb box)

Another question I have is whether to run the return off of the regulator back to the tank (need to drill and tap) or just run it back to a "T" @ the inlet side of the pump.

Any ideas?

thanks.
Ned
Attached Thumbnails Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4-5-7-02-006.jpg  

Old 09-27-2002, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget using the merc fuel water seperator. Buy a unit that has 1/2 in inlet and outlets. I got mine from the local NAPA store. The filters are 1 quart size also. I am running a whipple setup on 500HP EFI's and using the aeromotove pumps also. Put the fuel water seperators before the fuel pumps and the aeromotive filters after the pump. Hope this helps
Old 09-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Return line

I don't think you should run it to a Tee on the inlet fuel line. If you have a long enough length of hose from the gas fill fitting to the gas tank cut the hose and install a large pipe with a small barbed fitting in the side.

Use a 1 inch galvanized pipe and drill and tap a hole in the side (pipe thread). Install a barbed fitting (with Teflon tape) and install it into the fill hose with hose clamps. Run the return line to the barbed fitting. This will return the fuel back into the tank at the fuel inlet hose.

It is better than drilling into the gas tank!

Dennis Moore
FAMILY AND PERFORMANCE BOATING MAGAZINE

Old 09-27-2002, 07:26 PM
blue64drop

thanks guys for you input.

Dennis,
i thought about running it back to a "T" in the inlet for the fill hose but the procharger manual suggests that you run a closed loop system.
1. i just wanted to make sure that there wasn't going to be any problems w/ the fill line building up enough pressure to run up the fill line and out of the boat.

2. can you think of any other reason to run a closed loop system other than laziness? (ie- building up pressure in the tank, etc)

Fountain,

i entertained the idea of getting another water separator but i don't really have any room to put it "below the fill line" of the tank. aeromotive suggests that the pump (and filer) be below the tank (since the A1000's a pusher rather than a sucker)

Old 09-27-2002, 08:50 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

BlownFormula is the resident Aeromtive fuel pump expert here. He may have something to add here.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:33 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

You can drill and tap the merc fuel/water separator to 3/8" fittings. Permacool also makes one that has 1/2" fittings. I suspect you're going to be using the same element, so the port size is really only a feel good measure. Put the fuel/water separator after the pump so it's pressurized. Install the pump as close as possible to the fuel tank. It's better to install the pump below the tank, but they seem to draw OK from above. Because the filter is installed after the pump, you'll want a prefilter to protect the pump. Contact Aeromotive for the required micron. I'm thinking that it'll be around 35 micron. You'll have a choice of several inline filters that will do the job. You will also proably want a check valve installed before the prefilter. This will help the pump to maintain it's prime. Aeromotive also makes these. If you are using their in line pump, I've heard of some people having problems with the epoxy coating breaking down. With the filter after the pump it will help protect the motor, but if it plugs up, you can still lean out so check the filter for debris.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:30 PM
Registered

I agree with cord about retapping the Merc seperator to 3/8npt. See this thread for more info on aeromotive pump and filters.
http://www.fastboats******/upload/sh...&threadid=2438
Old 09-27-2002, 11:37 PM
Registered

http://www.f***boats******/upload/sh...&threadid=2438

Why do we have to be like that?

If you cant get to this thread PM me for the address. There is some good info in that thread that may be for very good use.

Todd
Old 09-28-2002, 03:16 AM
blue64drop

good call cord... i never thought of drilling\tapping it out. is there another filter i can get that will allow more flow? or am i at the mercy of the assembly itself?

anyone know if the unseparated fuel\water will break down the aeromotive pump? that was a concern i had w/ running the water separator after the pump instead of before it like the stock manual one is.

Old 09-28-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue64 try this link. Blown Formula had to research and got some good information for all you procharger / aeromotive pump users.

http://offshoreonly.com/forum/showth...threadid=29873

Quick Reply: Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.