Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Valve "stuck" in 525 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/338519-valve-stuck-525-a.html)

Rheeder218 06-22-2016 06:36 AM

Valve "stuck" in 525

Stock 525 with no more than 200hrs. Ran the boat for about 45mins at 4K. Blew a u joint that took out the transom assembly. So had to pull the motor decided it's a good time to do valve springs. Got the motor and drive back in the boat. Idled the boat for 30 mins or so. Went to take off about 300 yards at 4K. Motor quit. Got. The motor out and valve over off four a rocker arm swisted and push rod pushed up past the rocker. Mechanic got the head off took it to their head shop and supposedly the valve was stuxk in the guide. The valve did tap the piston. Now the only thing I can find on valves sticking is a leaky header. Before the drive blew I did have a header that was leaking on that head (found the leaking header when they test ran the motor on the stand). So my question is could that valve have stuck from the water that was leaking before the motor was reinstated? I did buy a new set of headers and put them on that motor so there was no water leaking into that head when the valve "stuck in the guide". Or is there more likely a issue with the valve spring job? Thanks for he help (I have pictures of the head as when the rocker and push rod were still in the head also have a picture of the top of the piston )

Unlimited jd 06-22-2016 07:47 AM

I've heard of the guid corroding where it's pressed into the head and squeezing the valve stem. Haven't seen it first hand but heard of it for what that's worth

Mr Maine 06-22-2016 07:57 AM

Did they only replace valve springs? Or did they do head work and install new valve guides? If they did, maybe your valve to guide clearance is too tight.

Rheeder218 06-22-2016 08:00 AM

These are bronze guides since it's an aluminum head

Just did valve springs.

mike tkach 06-22-2016 08:28 AM

if the valve stem did not get lubed during assembly it will stick in the guide.

Unlimited jd 06-22-2016 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rheeder218 (Post 4452134)
These are bronze guides since it's an aluminum head

Just did valve springs.

Dex cool does a great job of corroding the sh!t out of parts.
Guess I should've said corrodes the head around the guide

CDShack 06-22-2016 02:31 PM

If they Knurled the valve guides and didn't check fitment on that hole, they will warm up and stick.

Rheeder218 06-22-2016 06:16 PM

Only thing that was changed is the springs. Everything is still original from merc factory.

CDShack 06-22-2016 07:03 PM

Heads on or off when they changed springs?

Rheeder218 06-22-2016 09:14 PM

Heads were on.

If someone could post the pictures for me that would be great. Might help a little bit