Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Using Thunderbolt V with 502 Gen 6 and Procharger M1-SC in the Land Down Under >

Using Thunderbolt V with 502 Gen 6 and Procharger M1-SC in the Land Down Under

Notices

Using Thunderbolt V with 502 Gen 6 and Procharger M1-SC in the Land Down Under

Old 06-29-2016, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Thunderbolt V with 502 Gen 6 and Procharger M1-SC in the Land Down Under

Hi,

I am currently building up a Mercruiser 502Mag Gen 6 set-up (stock crate engine) with a Procharger M1-SC and AW304 intercooler with a blow through Holley 850 DP built to suit. The engine is replacing an expired stock 454 Mark IV. I have searched through the posts trying to work out if the stock Thunderbolt V ignition will be OK with the set-up. I am wary that the advance curves in the stock TBV may not suit the supercharged application. I am planning on running 5psi but would look to 7psi in the future, so would like a set-up that does both jobs. I like the TBV has knock sensing, and I believe they are a good ignition in their own right, so would like to see if I can use it. I was reading about the Daytona Sensors Marine CD ignition which seems compatible with the TBV (which allows custom timing curves to be used) and they supply a matching distributor rotor set-up, but not sure for the modest set-up I am using it's worth doing ? Anyone done something similar ? If so I would like to hear your experiences, recommendations and what you ended up doing.

I am in the Land Down Under (an Aussie) and this is my first post, so go easy. Any help is much appreciated !

Cheers,
Robin.