Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Drives not even height, bravo 1 adjustment (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/339024-drives-not-even-height-bravo-1-adjustment.html)

Let r buck 07-07-2016 07:40 AM

Drives not even height, bravo 1 adjustment

When I trim down they are even. when I trim up one is a ~ 1/2" higher. I attempted to adjust the sender on the left side of the left one [looking from the back]. When I twisted it nothing happened. I expected the drive to move. Trailer mode they are way off as well. Are my senders junk? 1998 Formula but new to me. Thanks - I'm a little new to all this. I searched and did not find a similar issue.

GLENAMY 242SS 07-07-2016 08:20 AM

You are going to need 2 people to get it the same. It is not a problem as is.
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BOAT, and welcome to the Formula world.

mike tkach 07-07-2016 08:24 AM

the trim pump on the one that is lower is tired and needs to be replaced.

Sydwayz 07-07-2016 08:54 AM

Trim pumps on these boats will never, ever move at exactly the same speed. You will always have to fine tune to get them even. Only on some of the later boats that have linked SmartCraft control systems, will the computer ensure they are at the same trim setting.

Got Freedom? 07-07-2016 10:23 AM

You might want to take a look at DriveSync. It will keep them even.

http://www.marinedesigncorp.com/drivesync.html

GF?

Sydwayz 07-07-2016 11:01 AM

BTW & FWIW, sometimes you don't want your drives to be even. Often I will trim the boat's attitude with the drives vs. the tabs; especially on a long cruise over quartering seas or with a breeze you are trying to overcome keeping the bow level side to side.

GLENAMY 242SS 07-07-2016 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4456992)
BTW & FWIW, sometimes you don't want your drives to be even. Often I will trim the boat's attitude with the drives vs. the tabs; especially on a long cruise over quartering seas or with a breeze you are trying to overcome keeping the bow level side to side.

+1
I frequently glance at the propwash it tells me a lot about the boat trim.

Let r buck 07-07-2016 01:01 PM

Thanks - I will leave it alone and try "tuning" when under way. Other boats I have had I just ran them up together, boat ran flat, this one is sensitive to rolling, 353 fastech is long narrow and heavy. Not use to messing with them individually. The trailer mode limit difference in height is significant though, not sure what is up with that. Fortunately it is high enough that I hit nothing going in or out at the ramp on the trailer regardless where they are up or down.

Tinkerer 07-07-2016 05:23 PM

If you are judging your drive trim by an electric gauge they are no where near accurate enough. You need to invest in a cable drive trim indicator. Don't worry about the fact that one moves faster than the other unless it is a big difference when making fine adjustment at top speed. What you are seeing is normal to some extent.

buck35 07-08-2016 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Let r buck (Post 4457040)
Thanks - I will leave it alone and try "tuning" when under way. Other boats I have had I just ran them up together, boat ran flat, this one is sensitive to rolling, 353 fastech is long narrow and heavy. Not use to messing with them individually. The trailer mode limit difference in height is significant though, not sure what is up with that. Fortunately it is high enough that I hit nothing going in or out at the ramp on the trailer regardless where they are up or down.

You should have it checked out if the trailer limits are quite a bit different as you may be over trimming that drive which will cost you u joints , or not being able to fully trim one which may cost you performance.