Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo 1 upper gear set clutch timing question?? >

Bravo 1 upper gear set clutch timing question??

Notices

Bravo 1 upper gear set clutch timing question??

Old 07-22-2016, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 upper gear set clutch timing question??

Hello, I am in the process of replacing my upper gear set on my 90's Bravo 1. I seized the original gear in fwd so I found a good deal on a new/used set. It came with whole assembly, 2 gears, clutch cone, pinion, etc. so my question is on my old set the timing marks has a line with a + - next to the mark but on the new set one side has a line with - mark and other side of cone has a +H marked. can anyone tell me what this means? is there a difference? also the pinion gear would not fit on my input u shaft the splined hole is bigger than my original one. so had to use my original pinion gear. when I go to line up the timing marks its hard to get them perfectly aligned I tried both ways 180 degrease back and forth it seems better one way than the other so went with it. looks like either top or bottom gear can use a half of tooth to line up perfectly. how critical is this if the lines are within an 1/8 or so of each other. Will this be ok? And can anyone tell me what the pinion gear is off of with the bigger hole? did they change shaft size in later years? thanks
Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Your new gears came out of an X drive...you need to use the thinner thrust races for the driven gears and move the driven gear races down on the towers to the correct position. As I recall, the H means high bump eccentric ring.

Last edited by JaayTeee; 07-22-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Registered

not to sure what you mean were are the thinner thrust races? im using all the parts they came with ass an assembly. and what do you mean by towers? any pics? thanks
Old 07-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Registered

I already assembled it, have not installed the drive on the boat yet but seems to shift nice and smooth with someone turning the input shaft and me shifting it manually with the back plate off. also when installing the upper cover plate it sat about 1/16 to 1/32 off the gasket surface but would sit flat when pushed down or screwed down. should I worry or is this setup seem ok.....