Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Low budget 7.4 rebuild (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/339564-low-budget-7-4-rebuild.html)

cdre 07-24-2016 05:21 AM

Low budget 7.4 rebuild

I just bought a project boat with a '96 7.4 Mercruiser and Bravo 2. Factory exhaust had never been changed and the engine ingested water before sitting for 2 years. My plan is to replace the short block and have the heads rebuilt. Thinking of picking up a truck gen v shortblock from a wrecking yard (approx $150) and having it rebuilt - I like the idea of a block that's had green stuff in it. Freshen up the existing heads and throw on a FWC kit, new exhaust, new intake, carb and cam.

What might I want to do to squeeze a little more horsepower out of the engine while I'm in there? Not looking for a race setup... It's in a 27' sport cruiser... Is a gen vi block ok if I don't have any gen v available? Terrible idea to go with Chinese Pro Comp aluminum heads while upgrading to roller tip rockers? Objective is reliability, efficiency and a little more power.

Greatly appreciate the assistance!

Black Baja 07-24-2016 05:50 AM

The words low budget and boat do not work together.

motor 07-24-2016 06:03 AM

different people have different ideas of what defines "low budget"...What is your budget ?

cdre 07-24-2016 06:58 AM

I'd like to stay under 4k without including the FWC kit and exhaust. So that includes short block heads intake cam and carburetor.

cdre 07-24-2016 07:31 AM

I can probably save a little $ rebuilding the original carb. And of course I know if I go with an automotive block, I'll need marine freeze plugs and head gaskets...

cdre 07-24-2016 09:14 AM

Also I would want to be able to run 87 octane

1BIGJIM 07-24-2016 09:54 AM

Why can't you use the parts you have? I just rebuilt a 96 small block that had water sitting in it for 2-3 years. I had to drive the pistons out with a steel pipe. The block was checked for cracks and bored .40 over. Used the same crank, cam. I had $1500 in machine shop alone.

phragle 07-24-2016 10:01 AM

This has all been covered many many MANY times before. Tim (Fullforce) on here has some 420's I think, fairly fresh that would save you a LOT of money and grief. While your taking to him, ask him about procomp heads.

jekyl 07-24-2016 12:05 PM

Look up repowering of a brick. Excellent thread. You will see all the gains in speed that are available

cdre 07-24-2016 05:32 PM

Thanks the recommendation. Reading more, I'm thinking to stay with factory spec lower end and heads (rebuilt) with a stainless thru hull which will allow a more aggressive cam. Add a dual plane intake and a fresh carb and I should have a reasonably reliable upgraded motor. Thoughts?