Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
28 Nordic, 29 Warlock, 288 Sunsation >

28 Nordic, 29 Warlock, 288 Sunsation

Notices

28 Nordic, 29 Warlock, 288 Sunsation

Old 07-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh i believe you... a good buddy of mine that i run with regularly has a Superboat y2k with 700hp, HE is who i need to be able to hang with because we do all the poker ruins together, lol. I'm gonna want to stay in the 25-30k range though, i don't think that's enough to get into a y2k otherwise i would
Old 07-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Love Sunny's but a 288 has a cramped cockpit and they are not a great rough water boat. Have driven a couple different ones on LOTO including a MCOB. A 29 Envision, though not near the build quality (in terms of fit and finish, they are built like brick crap houses structurally) of the Sunny and not nearly as fast, has way more cockpit room and a much better ride. Have driven both closed deck and MCOB Envisions on LOTO.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 07-25-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

Lol, everything will have a cramped cockpit compared to an Envision, those things are huge! Not a particular fan of them tho, i wanna go fast! Haha i love the lines of 28' sit down Scarabs and the 29' scarab singles, but heard they aren't really fast hulls... Maybe someone will let me bum a ride on Shootout weekend for a few minutes in a Sunny, Nordic or Warlock (hint hint) lol
Old 07-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
Lol, everything will have a cramped cockpit compared to an Envision, those things are huge! Not a particular fan of them tho, i wanna go fast! Haha i love the lines of 28' sit down Scarabs and the 29' scarab singles, but heard they aren't really fast hulls... Maybe someone will let me bum a ride on Shootout weekend for a few minutes in a Sunny, Nordic or Warlock (hint hint) lol
Fast and Envision are never spoken in the same sentence.

You can get around OK at LOTO in a 288. The '05's and up went with a true single step and a notch so they are faster than the older ones with just the ventilated chine. Just know when it gets bumpy out you'll be in the air more than the water if you try to run fast.

As suggested above, a 280 PQ would be another choice to consider. 8'6" beam so wider than the Sunny, more cockpit room than the Sunny, a walk-thru windshield (on most, some were windscreen boats), and upper 60's speed with a 502 MAG. PQ has nice fit and finish and good overall construction. I've not driven the PQ on LOTO, only a small local lake so I cannot comment on rough water ability.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend has a 29 Warlock with 800-850 hp JC performance for sale. Runs right around 90mph maybe a little more. It likes the rough water and chop, great performing boat. Much faster than a powerquest or sunsation but you do give up the plushness of those boats. This is a sit down ex race boat and all business. He needs a more family oriented boat now and is looking for a fountain express cruiser or powerquest EC now with more room. This or a superboat is the perfect size boat! Fast and capable but still 1 engine and 1 drive.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Registered

That's exactly what I'm after. I'm gonna finish out the season with the Scarab, but here are my main hangups that i would like to resolve with the next boat: 1: The Scarab is a poker run style cuddy, no amenities at all, & I bring the kids and wife out a lot so having a nice place to just get out of the sun is important. 2nd is the size, if i had something even just a few feet smaller id be able to keep it at home which would be a huge bonus for cleaning/maintence/ect. 3rd is time. The time i have available to ****in with my boat is less and less lately cause of family crap, so something with a single engine/drive would not only cut down on maintence time, but also save me $$ when it comes to messin with it, weather it be maintence or just making improvements. I'm trying to get into a bigger house soon so until that happens this big ass thing needs to go, so i figure a single in the 26-29 range would be perfect. I'll look more at the PQ 28, the fairing style ones i find way better looking but I'm still hooked on the Warlocks & Sunsations..
Old 07-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Registered

I've been in both the 28.8 Sun and several 29 WC, and really two totally different approaches to boating. The Sun is a stylish, well laid out boat with amenities and details you just won't find in a Warlock. However that was never really the end game with Warlock, who were far more interested in selling pleasure craft to offset the costs of supporting the race teams. In the end I like them both, but if rough water is a primary driver I'd choose the Warlock and if amenities or style was more important it would probably be the Sunsation. If your looking for more info on the Warlocks, there is a pretty active support group on Facebook.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Registered

Thank you so much for your input. I think the main thing I'm learning in all of this is that a 28 Nordic probably just won't cut it in the water I'm in a lot. The lines, size, & response to decent power are the main factors that have narrowed me down to the WC & Sunnys. I'm partial to the WC, but i think i just need to crawl around on one with the old lady and make sure getting in and out of the cuddy isn't too hard, & that the freeboard isn't too low to where she will be freaking out with the kids on it. If those check out, I'm all in with a Warlock! If the amenities push me intoa Sunny then I'm good with that too, so far from what I'm hearing, both would work well for what I'm after, so it may just come down to personal preference. Someone recently contacted me with a 28' Pantera with a single that kinda has me intrigued as well...
Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Following "Gearheads" thread with great interest. I Love my Thunder, but looking for that "Next Step", (read; 2-Ft-itus). I want to stay with a single, but want the best efficiency (speed) in hull design.
Hope you don't mind me riding your wake Gearhead.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Registered

All good man that's what these threads are for! Like someone said on here, Superboat y2k's are where it's at if its in your budget... It's out of mine however. Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.