Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Wiring the drive trim switch on the gaffrig throttle...is a fuse needed? >

Wiring the drive trim switch on the gaffrig throttle...is a fuse needed?

Notices

Wiring the drive trim switch on the gaffrig throttle...is a fuse needed?

Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring the drive trim switch on the gaffrig throttle...is a fuse needed?

I'm wiring up the thumb switch on my throttle to control the drive. The power wire going into the rear of the rocker on the dash has a pretty hefty wire, I'm connecting the power wire for the thumb switch to that wire. The thumb switch wire is quite a bit thinner. Is that a problem? Should I put a fuse somewhere? I hope that makes sense
Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You need to install diodes to wire up a second switch
Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM
Registered

I hooked it up temporarily and it worked. I thought diodes where for a twin engine? I guess I did nt mention it's a single engine. Am I wrong or right?
Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I was thinking the of doing it that and the wires looked really smal to me so I was just going to get see them to trigger a relay. Then it just dawned on me, al those wires actually do is trigger a selanoid that's what handles the real current.. Though my old brain may be over simplifieng things
Old 07-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If your dash switch has two sets of spades, just wire the switch on the throttle over to the spades on the dash. Make sure you have a jumper between each spade side to side.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Registered

This is what I was afraid of. Now I'm all confused. There is 2 "jumpers" on the dash switch. They cross and connect the bottom spades to the one diagonally above them. But the constant power wire is thicker than the constant power wire going to the throttle switch. I had it wired properly and both the switches worked but I disconnected it just because I started thinking the worst.....the little wire is getting to much "current/amps" (whatever the heck it would be) and heats up, lights on fire, burns my boat down!!! That's why I was thinking it needs a fuse. I dont know, I'm lost now!!!
Old 07-25-2016, 02:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You are not charging a battery through those wires, just providing low-amp 12V power to solenoids which operate the pump.

Basically, what I am saying is duplicate and then extend the wires off the back of the dash switch over to your throttle switch. If you are REALLY freaked out about wire thickness, just go up one gauge between the dash and the throttles.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 PM
Registered

Ok, that makes me feel better!!! Wire it up and call it a day. Thanks guys!!