Winter storage >

Winter storage

Notices

Winter storage

Old 09-30-2002, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Winter storage

2000 500EFI's very difficult to get to block drian plugs. Whats the best way to store for winter?
Old 09-30-2002, 08:04 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In southern Florida

Sorry, I couldn't resist
I have the same problem , I start them (one at a time), get it warm , and change from water to antifreeze (5 gallon jug) and hit it with fogging oil near the end of the antifreeze , so it's smoking real good then shut it off. But mine has carbs.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like mopower, I do the antifreeze thing. I never touch the drains (they break off too easy!). So far my EFI hasn't had any trouble with fogging, but I don't shoot enough in to stall the motor, only enough to start some smoke. Make absolutely sure it's warm enough to open the t-stat or antifreeze won't get throughout the motor.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:02 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Don't fog the motor by spraying thru the throttle body!! Read the manual. You have to fill the fuel filter with half fuel/half 2 stroke motor oil to fog the ENTIRE fuel system. I know the proceedure is posted here on OSO in the past. I did it last year, and it worked great!!
Old 10-03-2002, 07:20 AM
ursus

Don't fog the motor by spraying thru the throttle body!! Read the manual. You have to fill the fuel filter with ....
Actually there is a new procedure out from merc, basically the dif is to ad stablizer to the mixture as well and run it for 5-10 min rather than 1-2 as per the old procedure using the fuel filter full of gas/oil.

Fogging Mixture :

In a 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank, mix:

5 US gal (19 L) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline.

64 fl oz. (1.89 L) Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil.

5 fl oz. (150 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, OR 1 fl oz. (30 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer Concentrate.

1. Disconnect and plug boat’s fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.

2. Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water Separating Fuel Filter.

3. a. Cool Fuel models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.
b. VST models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 10 minutes.

4. After specified running time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine
off.

P.S. don't skip the stabilizer, it can/does lead to stuck injectors in the spring

Old 10-03-2002, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a kit available from camco manufacturing (www.camco-mfg.online.com/camco-mfg.com/ ) it include a jug, adapter & valves to hook up antifreeze and water. Available is also ban frost 2000, -100 degree or -50 degree RV/Marine antifreeze. Hope this is helpful !!
Old 10-03-2002, 04:10 PM
283CHECK

Ok, so if you follow the above directions when do you run the antifreeze through the system? When you pull to an idle?

This will be the first year I have acutally had to winterize my efi motor Last year was easy due to the fact the motor was strung out all over kansas and missouri

Thanks

Chris

Old 10-03-2002, 04:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 283Check, do it right

Do it the right way, and make sure you drain the block before running the antifreeze thru it.

There is absolutely no way that you will be able to run the antifreeze thru the motor with the water still in the block. You will not get a good mixture. There will still be water mixed in with the antifreeze. I know those drain plugs are hard to get to, but would you rather struggle getting at the motor mount bolts when you have to take the motor out in the spring when the thing cracks.

You have your self a nice 500EFI, don't ruin it, do it the right way.

Run the motor up to temp, hook up a jug with the mixture that Ursus listed, run it for 5 min, then shut the motor down and drain the block. After that, start it back up and then run the antifreeze thru it until it comes out the exhuast, then you're done.

You could also gravity feed it into the block, but I find it easier to run it thru while the motor is running.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:24 PM
283CHECK

I guess that is my question, just trying to get it stright in my mind. After running the mixture for 10mins, shut down and drain the block cooler and pump? Then with the fogging mixture still hooked up start back up and run the antifreeze through?

I'm just wanting to make sure I don't run the fogging mix out when putting the antifreeze in!

Old 10-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default That's it!

283Check,

You got it right! Don't worry, you won't run out of 6 Gallons of Fogging Fuel Mixture in 10minutes. You have plenty of time, and you will have plenty of gas left over.

When I was a mechanic, I made a full 6gallon jug full of fogging mixture and it lasted the whole fall. I probably did about 25-30 motors with that jug.

Quick Reply: Winter storage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.