Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
I dyno'd mine in full marine dress, CMI sweepers and tails that were going in the boat, why do it any other way ? because several, maybe most, of the shops are not set up to run wet exhaust, its really that simple.
Originally Posted by BenPerfected
In all our dyno testing there was only about 15 HP difference using full length dyno headers and exhaust manifolds with 15" runners. It is pretty hard to beat the value of the Stainless Marine exhaust.
Do you guys run the standard stainless marine, or the GEN 3 manifolds ?
Old 09-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Standard, single bolt pattern, I drilled the flange for the AFR's

Edit: mine are CMI not Stainless marine

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-29-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Registered

That is interesting what haxby mentioned about seeing cams with more split, not being as affected as much by the poor exhaust setup.

Anyhow. Heres some 1600hp sterlings with Stainless Marine Gen 3's .
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-fb_img_1475166009729.jpg  
Old 09-29-2016, 11:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

So my 5 degree spit and exhaust sucks just wonderful lol
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
That is interesting what haxby mentioned about seeing cams with more split, not being as affected as much by the poor exhaust setup.

Anyhow. Heres some 1600hp sterlings with Stainless Marine Gen 3's .
Old 09-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some dyno info on a 582 low rpm deal for a big white water jet boat. It shows a couple things. The first pic is with a custom cam 250 - 256 @.050 Dana exhaust with 2" divided riser extensions. The second is a few months later when we had to go through it because of reversion issues. I put a much smaller cam in it after running it in the boat and realizing that the pump was really inefficient over 4400rpm. 234 - 244 @.050. I believe the reason there is little change in peak torque rpm, is because the exhaust is holding it back and controlling the curve even more then the cam. Also, even though the engine ran at very low rpm, there was evidence of valvetrain instability with the bigger cam with higher lift. Second pic is with my dyno headers (which give very similar power numbers to E-tops) and last is with the Dana's back on, which is what the first one with the bigger cam was running too. I would agree with the gravel haulers suggestion that Tim's exhaust is more likely holding things back then the intake side of things. Oops, they posted in the wrong order. last one is 250-256, first one is smaller cam with headers, middle is with Danas. sorry
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-20160929_093103-1_resized.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-photo.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-photo.jpg  

Last edited by HaxbySpeed; 09-29-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

So, in your opinion would I see anyone enough gain at the gps in a boat like mine if I bought headers?

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Here's some dyno info on a 582 low rpm deal for a big white water jet boat. It shows a couple things. The first pic is with a custom cam 250 - 256 @.050 Dana exhaust with 2" divided riser extensions. The second is a few months later when we had to go through it because of reversion issues. I put a much smaller cam in it after running it in the boat and realizing that the pump was really inefficient over 4400rpm. 234 - 244 @.050. I believe the reason there is little change in peak torque rpm, is because the exhaust is holding it back and controlling the curve even more then the cam. Also, even though the engine ran at very low rpm, there was evidence of valvetrain instability with the bigger cam with higher lift. Second pic is with my dyno headers (which give very similar power numbers to E-tops) and last is with the Dana's back on, which is what the first one with the bigger cam was running too. I would agree with the gravel haulers suggestion that Tim's exhaust is more likely holding things back then the intake side of things. Oops, they posted in the wrong order. last one is 250-256, first one is smaller cam with headers, middle is with Danas. sorry
Old 09-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
What's holding it back from going over 53-5400rpm?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6EcyKygxTg Just for fun...... full marine dress with Dana Marine manifolds. This was just getting it tuned. We eventually pulled it to 6500.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by check300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6EcyKygxTg Just for fun...... full marine dress with Dana Marine manifolds. This was just getting it tuned. We eventually pulled it to 6500.
Bill, i think the cam was too big. You need more torque.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh we found quite a bit more torque before we were finished..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.