Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 suddenly stopped, abruptly, would not even turn over. Took plugs out and >

454 suddenly stopped, abruptly, would not even turn over. Took plugs out and

Notices

454 suddenly stopped, abruptly, would not even turn over. Took plugs out and

Old 09-18-2016, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I checking the lower unit oil at the plugs to see what comes out. The resovoir was full, but the upper drain plug nothing cam out. Lower was nice w blue, but fine metal in in...took the upper cap off and no oil for at least 4"...(I would think that upper gear should be swimming in oil??)

When I took the resovoir off, noticed the bottom all gummy with 1/4 of thick crud (but smooth to the touch) I read that can cause the filler line to be blocked and starve the lower unit. I blew through the line expecting to here oil squirt out to the open upper gears (still had the cap off), but heard spitting air.

Also found some metal, not chunks, but about 3 mm (1/8") and paper thin.

Next weekend, I will take lower unit off (going to rig the boathouse so I will have a floor under the lower unit and transom and hoist to hand the drive).

Once removed, will try to turn the motor with no plugs, and if I can, fire it up and hear how it sounds.

I assume it's possible if the lower unit seized, it could have caused damage to the motor (such as the crank road bearings)?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Its possible the gimbel bearing locked up or an upper bearing in the drive stopping the motor..
Old 09-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

If the drive seized the motor *should be fine. That's quite a load but similar to stalling a car on a hill.

*wtf do I know. I'm a hack myself.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do I get water to the motor with the drive removed?

I will take the drive off, do a compression test. And if I can turn it over with the socket and breaker bar, will start it to see how it sounds and runs. Assuming the drive is seized, the motor SHOULD still be fine (I hope)

But not sure how to get the water (I was going to connect a garden hose to the input line of the seawater pump)

Thanks,
Old 09-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Slow4me
How do I get water to the motor with the drive removed?

I will take the drive off, do a compression test. And if I can turn it over with the socket and breaker bar, will start it to see how it sounds and runs. Assuming the drive is seized, the motor SHOULD still be fine (I hope)

But not sure how to get the water (I was going to connect a garden hose to the input line of the seawater pump)

Thanks,
Perko flush kit is one way as it has a 1-way valve on it that won't allow water to escape toward the sea-water pick up hose typically connected to the drive.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Perko flush kit is one way as it has a 1-way valve on it that won't allow water to escape toward the sea-water pick up hose typically connected to the drive.
I've had good luck with this so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PA...ABL&ref=plSrch
Old 09-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the hardware store and get a 1" npt ball valve, a 1" pipe nipple 4 inches or so long, and then get the fittings to adapt the 1" npt on the other side of the ball valve down to 1/2" npt and get a npt to garden hose adapter. Now you can pull the hose off the gimble hosing and hook this up and get water to the engine. Or you can get a section of 1-1/4" hose and pull the hose off the water pump and connect this gadget.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

In the past I have reached behind the motor and taken the hose off the transom assbly that goes to the sea pump, proped it up and stuck the garden house in it,
Old 09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Take the hose fitting out of a set of muffs. A wrap or 2 of elec tape and it will stick right in inlet hose on bell housing. The drive. The top oil hole is top level spot and vent for filling. Oil is not supposed to come out there except when filling it. Did you drain drive oil into seperate container so you can measure how much oil was in it?
Old 09-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably Broke the tower out of the drive , and Jammed her up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.