Need some help - Port motor not running

Notices

Need some help - Port motor not running

Old 10-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Okay - back to the top, still no luck.

I've replaced the Dist Cap, rotor and sensor underneath with no luck. 12v on both sides of the coil. Put a paper clip in the wire, placed it a quarter inch from the distributor cap and had spark.

I also switched MSD rev control boxes with no luck.

I'm stumped, and frustrated......
Old 10-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chased an intermittent issue with a key switch, I don't know if you have buzzers or not (this boat did not) and it would intermittently not fire. Out of frustration I jiggled the key and hit the starter switch and it would intermittently fire. Replaced both key switches and then it was fine until the rev-limiter went bad but that only shut the engine down after it heated up, once it cooled down it ran fine. These issues were on a Top Gun, I don't know if the Cafe Racer has the breakers in the cuddy, but you could have corrosion somewhere causing issue. I would try working all the breakers and switches a couple times to maybe break them free or remove/clean/replace.

Since it's the port engine, you could move the cannon plug over to starboard, and see if the issue moves or not. Then you will have an idea if its dash-side related or engine-side related at least. I doubt you have enough slack on the starboard to move it to the port...

This is of course assuming its ignition and not fuel related. Have you tried running it on starting fluid to see if that keeps it alive?

Last edited by c_deezy; 10-14-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:53 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Start with the basics. Replace dist caps and rotors.
That bad battery could be screwing with you even on 'all.' And remember, only + is thru switch, so bad ground will remain bad ground.

Basics for me after checking if ignition is fine, since a Holley, is to pull it apart and clean every passage and air blead and etc, etc.

If still doesn't start or run right, time to check compression (I don't care if brand new or rebuilt - seen issues with those) and then fuel pressure.

Tbolt IV diagnostics:

Old 10-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

So........

Don't think its fuel - have tons of fuel flow, and have swapped carbs. Definitely doesn't seem to be fuel.

I got it started and after about a minute it started running better, and by about 2-3 minutes it was running fine. I actually experienced similar symptoms over the last couple months the one or two times this happened before. I'm wondering now if the battery voltage is bad and after it builds a little voltage it solves my problem. I'm charging them overnight now, but I'm still not sure because I also swapped batteries.......
Old 10-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, same thing today. Barely got it to fire, ran like crap for a minute or two and then cleared up.

I'm thinking of building a machine that just repeatedly kicks me in the nuts - I think it would be more fun than boating......
Old 07-21-2019, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ever resolve this? I am still ahving the same issue on one of my 525sc's
Ramb