Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hard start 540 whipplecharged >

Hard start 540 whipplecharged

Notices

Hard start 540 whipplecharged

Old 11-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

just don,t forget to open the valve or you could ruin the pump.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Bajajay98
The pump is probably around the center height of the tank. But inlet line goes up and over a support and to the top of the tank below the floor. And the fuel filter is on the side of the motor around the same height as the valve cover. What about if I put a inline ball valve and after running the boat shut the valve and park it for a few days and test it out again?
cant hurt to try. Will rule out any fuel bleed off etc. what kind of efi is this? Also is there a pressure relay or something on these that signal the fuel to go back to the tank via fuel line like Mike touched on? Sorry I'm not much help on the subject but trying. fuel pressure seems low however might be completely fine for your particular set up. The problem I had was more of an issue when it sat for longer periods of time. If it sat for a week or longer it was very hard starting otheripwise wasn't an issue. oxygen sensor?
Old 11-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a fairly fresh 540 whipplecharged, when cold it takes 3-4 cycles of 10-15 second cranks to fire. The 2-3 cycle it will fire but run rough and stall. Once it's fired it runs great. And after it's warm and run you can shut it off and it will fire up no problem even after sitting quite a while. Seems to be only when I go to take it out after it sitting for a few days. Can't really seem to figure it out. Maybe fuel leak down or a computer issue ? TPS? I'm fairly new to the fuel injected scene.
It's fairly common for a Whipple rear mount throttle body setup to have to crank quite a bit longer on the first start of the day. It takes a few rotations to get the fuel through the rotors and intercooler. Once they're all saturated it will fire much faster, even after sitting for a couple hours there is still fuel suspended in the intercooler facilitating a quick start. Whoever programmed yours probably needs to add some cranking fuel at the bottom of the table to help get it going a bit quicker by the sounds of it. Not a big deal, and not fuel pressure, or pump related most likely.

Last edited by HaxbySpeed; 11-13-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Have a fairly fresh 540 whipplecharged, when cold it takes 3-4 cycles of 10-15 second cranks to fire. The 2-3 cycle it will fire but run rough and stall. Once it's fired it runs great. And after it's warm and run you can shut it off and it will fire up no problem even after sitting quite a while. Seems to be only when I go to take it out after it sitting for a few days. Can't really seem to figure it out. Maybe fuel leak down or a computer issue ? TPS? I'm fairly new to the fuel injected scene.
when you say cold,,how cold?air out side and engine.sounds like cold weather tuning is in order.I was blessed many years ago that my boat got cold soaked and there was ice on the deck up in maine.pulled out the lab top and did some cold weather corrections.now 12yrs later,still starts in 20° weather.
seems thats always the temp when winterizing my boat.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

I have Teague EFI 800's and have the same problem after sitting for a day or more. I will wait for fuel pressure to build before I crank for a few turns. Then wait a few second, turn key on again, wait to right before pump shuts down and crank again. Most time on third try it will start. Rest of day only have to tap starter and motors are running.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Registered

Mine does the same thing, just like Haxby said. Just first start of day. I had a very similar set up except with vortech, instead of whipple and it started normal all the time. Its a whipple thing.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Registered

I've tried pretty much everything. I have great oil and fuel pressure, just doesn't seem to wanna fire like I want on the first cycle lol. Maybe it is a whipplecharger or this set up. Not to sure.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your regulator mounted before or after the fuel rail? If it is before, you could be generating a air pocket and is hard to clear. We recommend to install the regulator after the fuel rail. This will constantly flow fuel through the rail can eliminate the air pocket. Also, do you have an adequate fuel cooler or returning the fuel to the tank/s? -Eric
Old 11-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Registered

Have same problem with my 500efi with whipple hard to get fuel all the way down to cylinders after it drys up from sitting. Open the throttle body and give it a shot of starter fluid it will start and suck the fuel down.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
It's fairly common for a Whipple rear mount throttle body setup to have to crank quite a bit longer on the first start of the day. It takes a few rotations to get the fuel through the rotors and intercooler. Once they're all saturated it will fire much faster, even after sitting for a couple hours there is still fuel suspended in the intercooler facilitating a quick start. Whoever programmed yours probably needs to add some cranking fuel at the bottom of the table to help get it going a bit quicker by the sounds of it. Not a big deal, and not fuel pressure, or pump related most likely.
I don't think that's what the problem would be, these motors are multi port injected below the intercooler so getting fuel down there should be instantaneous upon cranking. (unless) - I think it's what Teague is saying - must be an issue with air pockets in the rail / regulator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.