Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Aluminum head valve seat material?? >

Aluminum head valve seat material??

Notices

Aluminum head valve seat material??

Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

back in my drag race days i ran blown alcohol and used a top lube additive but i can,t remember what brand i used.i can,t see how it would harm our marine engines if used with today,s unleaded fuel.i wonder how many sets of afr heads are out their in marine use and how many have seat issues.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Just adding about --- Teague is huge fan of Tucker Valve seats. Teague uses Tucker Valve seats that are rated 40 on the Rockwall Hardness scale and for a more severe duty installs a rating of 50 on the Rockwall hardness scale.

most ductile iron seats mostly are rated around or up to 30 on the Rockwall hardness scale.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

lol surprised my wife don't have that!

decision made, already too deep into project to change, I may just run the additive and see how it goes...

Originally Posted by SB
You need a comfy seat

Relax, and don't make any decisions all pizzed off.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Would it help to put 5 gallans or so of 110 octane leaded in each tank full. May be a stupid question but there was talk a bought additives with lead. I even though about doing it with my 500efi's but didnt know if it would be safe for the fuel injection
Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran 110 in my bikes and one of my cars all the time just never in my boats
Old 11-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Put the seats in and put the boat in a month late you will be happy you did.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Just thinking out loud - I have never seen nor tested fuel injectors that used leaded fuel - just wonder how the deposit control in the pintle area of the injector would be ? IMO I think the lead deposits would mean that the fuel injectors would have to be cleaned way more often. Again just thinking out load about Marine apps using leaded fuel EFI engines.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

it's not a time issue...seriously not giving much of a chit, and I am not paying to redo the heads again right now, one set is past that point, if anyon e wants to send a check I will be happy to accept the cost... until then I have a 50/50 shot and I will deal with it... it may go 50 hours.... may got 500....
Originally Posted by 14 apache
Put the seats in and put the boat in a month late you will be happy you did.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
it's not a time issue...seriously not giving much of a chit, and I am not paying to redo the heads again right now, one set is past that point, if anyon e wants to send a check I will be happy to accept the cost... until then I have a 50/50 shot and I will deal with it... it may go 50 hours.... may got 500....
Why even ask this question then? Seems you made your mind up on what you wanna do. I mean, you asked , and guys are giving their advice. Some have been down this road before, and just trying to help you out.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
back in my drag race days i ran blown alcohol and used a top lube additive but i can,t remember what brand i used.i can,t see how it would harm our marine engines if used with today,s unleaded fuel.i wonder how many sets of afr heads are out their in marine use and how many have seat issues.
Back in the day we always ran up to the corner Mobil gas station and would buy a case of "Mobil Upper Lube Super" and run it in the drag boat, street race cars. then fog the engine with it come winter time lay up. Real good stuff! Now days I just add two stroke oil, People always ask me why my engines smoke after being rafted up for a few hours, well I don't run valve seals and use oil in my gas. I just say the engines are old and they are!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.