Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Professional Motor rebuild question... >

Professional Motor rebuild question...

Notices

Professional Motor rebuild question...

Old 12-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Quickest way to find oil leaks , use a Evap Smoke Machine , Burns Baby Oil and make dense white smoke . plug it in the oil filler hole , plug off breathers , turn on air supply . Mine has a graduated flowmeter , will tell you how big your leak is . Easiest way to do it , and the cleanest .

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...FVI6gQodQksMjw
Old 12-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsationLarry
They did rebuild last year and we put engine back in and would bleed out all oil by time I crossed the lake. My old mechanic couldnt find the leak so took it out and sent back to them and they said was fine not leaking. Got it back and took to my new guy who put in and still spewed oil from everywhere but they couldn't figure out where leak was from. Engine builder looked and thought was making to much crankcase pressure so leaking out valve covers and said I needed some valve covers with breathers. I barely used boat because of this and now the engine is out again and back there for a third time. Ive spent 13k on this one rebuild and pulling in and out few times plus little other work and didnt enjoy more than 3
days this season. They have that motor back and I'm probably taking other to them after his one is fixed right so they will be perfectly mated motors. How much do dyno test usually cost? They put on a stand with all the computers hooked up to it and I was thinking about having this done but its an additional 800 minimum they are saying.
so is the oil misted all over or puddled up in the bilge?
Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Found some history:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-mechanic.html
Old 12-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

" he works off his land in Conroe area"
Is this guy still involved?
Old 12-27-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Ten 2 one you have an engine builder that s going to blame it on the rigger and a rigger who is going to blame it on the builder.! You need to get in your bilge and figure out what's going on
Old 12-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/trl...AGUaAprp8P8HAQ
Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if you have a reputable engine builder who has been in business 30 years do a 6K engine rebuild but from the day you get the motor in it leaks oil and needs more repairs for oil leak whose responsible for second repair? Do you as the consumer have to rip cash all over again even though the motor was never working like it should or do they generally repair out of good faith? They always told me they had ideas on why it was leaking but could never get fixed where it didn't leak. I'm just curious what everyones opinions are here.

Thanks
Smith speed Jordan..He's the best..Very thorough..Located Conroe or kemah area
Old 12-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there Larry, we can absolutely help diagnose your leak. If it's not something we'd handle in our shop we pull it and work with one of the two machine shops in the area we trust to work on blue motors. With that being said you'd avoid the typical long wait as we have the ability to get things moving along being industry partners. Shoot me a PM to discuss further and I'll let ya know if we might be able to assist. Shop is in La Porte near Kemah and we work on a few Conroe boats.
Jordan Smith
832-917-3030
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IF the engine does not have adequate crankcase ventilation it could be that he is pushing the oil out of the dipstick if it is not o ringed and locked down. That will empty an engine in minutes.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

They did rebuild last year and we put engine back in and would bleed out all oil by time I crossed the lake. .

Did you lose oil pressure? Do any damage? hear things rattle?? lose power?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.