Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Roller rocker debate (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/343694-roller-rocker-debate.html)

mggdoors 01-04-2017 07:17 PM

Roller rocker debate

I am finishing up my 489s. Cam is .547 .547 112lsa 230/236 with eq 320 heads. My debate is what rockers to go with. I am looking at comp pro magnums, harland diamonds, and scorpion marine. Also up in the air on 1.7 vs 1.8 or even a combo of both. Whats your take??

endeavour32 01-04-2017 07:43 PM

Go with the Comp Ultra Pro Magnum Rockers. They are better than aluminum rockers for the following reasons- Better fatigue resistance, rebuildable, lighter over the nose, less bulky, and I'm sure a few other good reasons. Also the price will be on par with the better aluminum rockers.

On my old engines I broke a Crane Gold and I didn't have that many hours on the rockers. My new engines have the Comp Stainless Steel rockers, which are no longer available. Either way after my experience with Golds and what I've discussed with a few guys, I'll never run aluminum rockers again!

Baja Rooster 01-04-2017 08:01 PM

I have very little expertise on the matter, but after some research I went with the Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnums. I'm just more comfortable with steel as all.

vintage chromoly 01-04-2017 08:04 PM

:food-smiley-007::food-smiley-007::food-smiley-007:

This is like asking if fords or Chevys are better.

Whatever you decide, make sure the setup / geometry works out correctly. I'd bet that lots of valvetrain failures are due to poor setup as apposed to aluminum vs. Steel or brand vs. Brand.

getrdunn 01-04-2017 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by endeavour32 (Post 4516135)
Go with the Comp Ultra Pro Magnum Rockers. They are better than aluminum rockers for the following reasons- Better fatigue resistance, rebuildable, lighter over the nose, less bulky, and I'm sure a few other good reasons. Also the price will be on par with the better aluminum rockers.

On my old engines I broke a Crane Gold and I didn't have that many hours on the rockers. My new engines have the Comp Stainless Steel rockers, which are no longer available. Either way after my experience with Golds and what I've discussed with a few guys, I'll never run aluminum rockers again!

For some reason I think I remember that day. Never gave it much thought though. I've ran cranes golds for over 30 plus years and never had a problem but that's certainly not to say there's much better out there now. I've just never had an issue with them in fact just bought a new set of 1.8's for dyno testing only. I've looked at the ultra pro mags for new builds and seem pretty nice.

What ever OP does just stay away from the import 125.00 set of rockers. I wouldn't recommend those to anyone. Amazing how many of those big hp engines you see on the net selling cheap use all those components though. Buyer looks at price and power. Not cool. OP your cam is on the small side but should help save your drive among other things. You propping for 5200-5400.

getrdunn 01-04-2017 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly (Post 4516154)
:food-smiley-007::food-smiley-007::food-smiley-007:

This is like asking if fords or Chevys are better.

Whatever you decide, make sure the setup / geometry works out correctly. I'd bet that lots of valvetrain failures are due to poor setup as apposed to aluminum vs. Steel or brand vs. Brand.

I read an article from a reputable builder the other day and they said 80-90 % of engine failures stem from poor valvetrain geometry and stability.

mike tkach 01-04-2017 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by mggdoors (Post 4516117)
I am finishing up my 489s. Cam is .547 .547 112lsa 230/236 with eq 320 heads. My debate is what rockers to go with. I am looking at comp pro magnums, harland diamonds, and scorpion marine. Also up in the air on 1.7 vs 1.8 or even a combo of both. Whats your take??

of the three the comp pro magnum is the best imo.edit in,for your application any of the three will work ,also i wolud go 1.7 ratio.

getrdunn 01-04-2017 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by endeavour32 (Post 4516135)

Part number #1826. I see they come in 1.6's also. Hmmm. Might be worth buying a set and installing on your intakes while your out of town.

mggdoors 01-04-2017 09:02 PM

I was thinking comp ultras myself for reliability standpoint. I hear 1.8 causes more sideloading. Should i stay away from those or chase the power

14 apache 01-04-2017 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by mggdoors (Post 4516196)
I was thinking comp ultras myself for reliability standpoint. I hear 1.8 causes more sideloading. Should i stay away from those or chase the power

If you want 1 mph go for it but the extra load on the lifters won't be worth it.