Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Merc 600 SCI IAC 1 Amp Fuse Install >

Merc 600 SCI IAC 1 Amp Fuse Install

Notices

Merc 600 SCI IAC 1 Amp Fuse Install

Old 12-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found the Buelletin on Overcurrent Problem. https://www.crowleymarine.com/sb/2/14300

Last edited by Mauryloomis; 12-01-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: link
Old 12-02-2018, 12:27 AM
Registered

Old 12-02-2018, 01:00 AM
Registered

Fuse/Harness kit for this Overcurrent Recall:

https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercur...cfm?mdl=LRPM2O
Old 12-02-2018, 03:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse link

Old 12-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Registered

Those IAC fuse harnesses are from MDC correct? The link I posted was the Improper Overcurrent Protection on the starter solenoid going to the main harness and alternator sense wires...the recall from Mercury that BUP pointed out in this thread as being related to the IAC issues. They might be separate but nonetheless, I was able to find the instructions so wanted to post it. I plan on buying the IAC fuse harnesses from MDC and then doing the Mercury recall update on the starter solenoid adding the additional fuses there as well.

I found 2 more critical recalls/updates for the 600sci/700sci. The electric fuel pumps need to be replaced as they leak and the boost bypass valve needs to be reprogrammed because it can limit boost and or no boost, thus hurting performance. This is the website to search on your engine serial number to find recalls and also it has very nice diagrams of all the parts for these engines! It's a great resource. https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/13131.cfm?mdl=LRPM2O&q=0M958889

Last edited by Mauryloomis; 12-02-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mauryloomis
Those IAC fuse harnesses are from MDC correct? The link I posted was the overcirrent /starter/alternator fuse harness recall from Mercury that BUP pointed out in this thread as being related to the IAC issues. They might be separated but nonetheless, I was able to find a the I fo so wanted to post it. I plan on buying the IAC fuse harnesses from MDC and then doing the Mercury recall update on the starter solenoid adding the additional fuses there as well.

I found 2 more recalls/updates for the 700sci. The electric fuel pumps needs to be replaced as they leak and the boost bypass valve needs to be reprogrammed because it's can limit boost and or no boost.
I made those It doesnt take much
Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

old BUP knows his stuff as I been telling everyone up here about the SB.

Its called IMPROPER OVER PROTECTION for a reason and needs to be done for many reasons

Also the one amp fuse is not the design to use as that was basically an after thought and basically a bandaide . .That is not per Merc recs and is not protecting other over current issues and areas. . One can call Merc and or including myself for the reasons for not using the 1 amp fuse.. I do not want to type all this out..

follow what I have been telling everyone.up here will fix that issue along with proper maintenance. .There is many keys to follow so one does not have PCM failures.

Last edited by BUP; 12-02-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:05 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I have definitely seen it on the 496 but not on a 525.
Eddie
Eddie yes the HP 525 and the 600 Sci and 700 Sci for the ones that do not have the over current protection I know because I have repaired the PCMs internally of the failure.

The 496 is the worse as thats because the boat owner does not include the correct maintenance for protecting the IAC inwhich can lead to a bad PCM / ECM for a jist.

also the 4.3 and 5.0 and 5.7 and the 6.2 using ECM 555 the same - the boat owner improper or Zero maintenance for IAC longevity Anyways the jist..

Also the 600 and 700 --- ign coil driver(s) internally can BE KNOCKED OUT in the PCM from ign coil failure.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:19 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by TorchLK
Is this 1 amp fuse mod only necessary on the 600 SCI or would a Merc 525 efi or 496 Mag share the same risk with the IAC?
Totally NOT recommended period. half the battle is proper maintenance and the other issue is over current protection needed,

I have the OEM kits to Make right as how Merc engineered it after the fact.

The 496 is not included in this for over current protection.. The issues are boaters buying aftermarket IACs inwhich most do not perform the correct PWM per Merc PCM and ECM 555. The next issue is total lack of proper maintenance. Voltage issues add to the mix as well for all. .
Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Update. I ended up sourcing all the factory ends, had 1 amp fuse pigtails made, etc enough to make up to 50 of these IAC isolators. After talking to BUP I did the Mercury over current protection kit install and replaced both of my IAC with a MERC part # instead of the cross referenced Windstar part #. I did the IAC every year anyways in the past, just going to use the factory part from here on out. If anyone wants a deal on this box of ends, plugs, wiring, etc send me a PM. Also have a couple of new in box Motorcraft IAC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.