Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stainless marine to stellings width issues? >

Stainless marine to stellings width issues?

Notices

Stainless marine to stellings width issues?

Old 02-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Something else to consider, is installing an air temperature gauge in your bilge, or even better, in your intake manifold. Its a scientific fact engines make more power with cooler air. Thats what correction factors are for. Whike you may see 700hp corrected on the dyno, that doesnt mean thats what youre seeing in the boat, if the engine is being fed hot air.

Same goes for available air. Biggest carb or biggest exhaust, or best flowing heads, arent gonna do anything, if youre starving the engine for air.

I know we talked about that last year, but most boats, esp the okder ones, dont have enough bilge venting to support 1400hp worth of air.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

Yes for sure, I never thought about measuringbtenps really, or maybe we did then I blew up trans lol
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Something else to consider, is installing an air temperature gauge in your bilge, or even better, in your intake manifold. Its a scientific fact engines make more power with cooler air. Thats what correction factors are for. Whike you may see 700hp corrected on the dyno, that doesnt mean thats what youre seeing in the boat, if the engine is being fed hot air.

Same goes for available air. Biggest carb or biggest exhaust, or best flowing heads, arent gonna do anything, if youre starving the engine for air.

I know we talked about that last year, but most boats, esp the okder ones, dont have enough bilge venting to support 1400hp worth of air.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Maybe its 10hp, maybe its 40hp, who knows. But at least youll have a solid reference, and can then decide if its worth spending the money on.
I too am curious what the real difference is. I have run KE's vs Stainless Marine in the same boat, same engine and the KE's had noticeable improvement in midrange power and top end. If I remember right it was 2-3 mph increase on the top end.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

If you have access to test and measure on the dyno, that's great.

However, I would run the same exhaust you have now, at least in the beginning. Then you will know how much you actually gained in the new setup vs the old. If you change everything at once, you may never know what actually made the biggest improvement.

Hypothetically speaking, what if you build the new engines and install them in the boat with the old exhaust and the boat goes the same speed? Then you've found your restriction, the exhaust the whole time.

I'm a big fan of incremental changes, not making big changes all at once.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you tell me the outside dimensions of these ke manifolds mounted on the engine.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Measurement
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
755-8935.pdf (46.9 KB, 60 views)
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 12-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
So with the risk of used headers, how much power is there to be gained in headers vs your sm;s? and what does that power increase equal in increased mph? now is that increase worth the possibility of a leak and the possibility of a gernaded engine? Yes, your buddy can hot glue stainless,but you have to be lucky enough to find a leak first before it does damage.

Headers can most definitly ,make more power which can make more speed but only you can decide if the risk is acceptable. As far as the holes in the transom lining up... its not that difficult to plug and recut if they dont. You have a white solid color boat, not some mega dollar spectral vomit paint job to match so its really not that hard.
in a blower motor application the SM Gen III makes more power than a full tube header.. (big tube 2.250 primary is the only exception)