Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Found something inside a coolant hose (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/344414-found-something-inside-coolant-hose.html)

cabin fever 02-03-2017 08:20 AM

Found something inside a coolant hose

Was searching for impeller pieces and found a piece of air compressor hose inside of the hose from the crossover to the thermostat housing. No clue why. It was installed befor i bought the boat

At first i thought it was some kind red neck psi reducer but i also have a water psi bypass valve plumbed into the system. Water psi gauage always reads normal.

Motor did have a blower before i got the boat. I had the engine rebuilt this sumer. Only got it out once late fall and oil temp got up to 230 after a run. I thought it was on the high side consdering how cold the water was so i started investigating and found this hose inside the hose?

I believe i found the oil temp issue. Line into the oil cooler was kinked badly (surprised any water got through). Ill replace that hose but got to wondering if maybe i should replace the cross over hose too? Maybe it was collapseing?

mike tkach 02-03-2017 10:17 AM

my guess is someone put the piece of air hose inside the water hose to slow the flow of water,some people do stupid chit from time to time.also,it never hurts to replace an older hose,espically if it is questionable.

f_inscreenname 02-03-2017 10:38 AM

You would be shocked what I've found in motors and such over the years. Feeler gauges, rags, screw drivers,wrenches, nuts, bolts, an extra pushrod or two in the oil pan... Just found what looks like a picture hanger inside a Holley carb bowl just 2 days ago.

BUP 02-03-2017 12:50 PM

have found of impeller pieces of course, t stats that came apart or totally corroded apart, reducers and or restrictors to slow down water flow, found sockets, found shop towels, dirt dobbers and even snake skin actually twice. in the prop area find beaver nests and birds nest especially boats stored on the lift at lake houses, That's not uncommon here.

getrdunn 02-03-2017 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4525669)
my guess is someone put the piece of air hose inside the water hose to slow the flow of water,some people do stupid chit from time to time.also,it never hurts to replace an older hose,espically if it is questionable.

I just don't have a place for chit like this. We all experiment from time to time but results in a permanent fix. Well it should anyway. I can totally see what your saying here and personally I think we'd agreee on a gate valve might perhaps have been a better solution. Lol...

What I have found more than anything in engines is chunks, pieces and strips of silicone. sometimes just gobs of the chit. I don't get why sometimes why people don't understand what gaskets are used for. Original post here is pretty funny though and some others following as well. This thread could wind up going on for pages if we all listed what we've found inside builds. Kinda like a doc in an ER room. I've heard those stories also. Unbelievable.

MILD THUNDER 02-03-2017 04:48 PM

wonder how many sets of headers were ruined, by guys trying to build heat in their engines by restricting water flow.