Timing set for gen v block with step nose cam

Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

peek on ebay item # 360766837510 GM kit
Old 02-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had anybody use the SA Gear Gen 6 billet double roller? Is state's it will fit the stock cover.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

http://www.competitionproducts.com/H.../#.WJuzT_LLqCs

That billet set, will fit under the stock GEN 6 timing cover. Has the good German made chain as well.

Was recommended by Eddie Young. Apparently the Rollmaster chains, may require some grinding of a stock GEN 6 timing cover, where as those, do not.

But, being you have a GEN V, fitment shouldn't be an issue.

Last year I replaced both my cloyes sets, with Rollmasters. One of the cloyes sets, had an IWIS chain, like the rollmasters. The other, did not. The IWIS chain was still nice and tight, the other, had what I considered, a good amount of slop, for not a ton of time on it.

After seeing some guys have issues breaking cam sprockets, I will always use a billet set from now on, esp if the spring pressures are over 400lbs open. I think they are worth the money. jmo
Old 02-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Registered

Yes definitely going billet, open pressure is set at 432 lbs. Did you use the red or gold series rollmaster?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja8808
Yes definitely going billet, open pressure is set at 432 lbs. Did you use the red or gold series rollmaster?
I think I might have an unused rollmaster red if you were thinking of getting one. Have to check. It'd be a CS 2090 iirc

Last edited by bck; 02-08-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
http://www.competitionproducts.com/H.../#.WJuzT_LLqCs

That billet set, will fit under the stock GEN 6 timing cover. Has the good German made chain as well.

Was recommended by Eddie Young. Apparently the Rollmaster chains, may require some grinding of a stock GEN 6 timing cover, where as those, do not.

But, being you have a GEN V, fitment shouldn't be an issue.

Last year I replaced both my cloyes sets, with Rollmasters. One of the cloyes sets, had an IWIS chain, like the rollmasters. The other, did not. The IWIS chain was still nice and tight, the other, had what I considered, a good amount of slop, for not a ton of time on it.

After seeing some guys have issues breaking cam sprockets, I will always use a billet set from now on, esp if the spring pressures are over 400lbs open. I think they are worth the money. jmo
As mentioned, this is a really nice set. It's the same billet gears as the Rollmaster set, but uses a Roll-on German made chain instead of the IWIS. The issue I've seen with the SA Gear set is the chain. It has some nice billet gears, but the chain is an import. They don't seem to stretch or break, but some of the links get sticky over time. It doesn't want to move smoothly.
The Comp Products set is a great alternative to the Rollmaster set for a little over half the price and doesn't require any clearance work to fit.
Eddie
Old 02-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
I think I might have an unused rollmaster red if you were thinking of getting one. Have to check. It'd be a CS 2090 iirc
Do you have 2 sets? I need 2 for twins.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:57 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja8808
Do you have 2 sets? I need 2 for twins.
I should be able to check tomorrow. I should have 1, I might have 2. Look into whatever these guys are talking about with the clearance and make sure they'll work for you. Give me your email or phone and I'll send you the pics and info

Last edited by bck; 02-09-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
I should be able to check tomorrow. I should have 1, I might have 2. Look into whatever these guys are talking about with the clearance and make sure they'll work for you. Give me your email or phone and I'll send you the pics and info
Ok thanks, send it to [email protected]
Old 06-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'm looking for a timing set for my gen 5, 525SC rebuild and after some research it looks like the following are recommended:

1) Roll master CS2040 -$122
2) Howard's 94309. $97
3) Cloyes. ??? $???
4) the comp one MT listed above but the link is broken and no part number

i also had my mains alighn-honed but I don't trust the work so I'm not sure how to verify if I need a shorter timing set or just a standard.

Which set is best to run?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.