Saltwater used engine >

Saltwater used engine

Notices

Saltwater used engine

Old 02-13-2017, 10:31 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The intake manifold will most likely be junk at the very least even a lot of times not even from saltwater usage - those intakes had brass inserts in the water ports and that caused its own corrosions for the aluminum to be eaten away. Many times this caused water to leak into the lifter valley. Dissimilar metal corrosion.

IMO I would pass and look for something else

Last edited by BUP; 02-13-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well sounds like I should wait, I'm not in a rush as the boat will not hit water this year! I was thinking it was a good deal, but I have never been around salt water before and I know its not a good thing..
Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Guy had an offer for $5000 so he sold it today anyways.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jesus .
I wonder if the buyer gave it a intake yank and good inspection.
5k still isnt bad for a roller cam hp500 with carb and headers if the insides are decent. Esp if it has the flywheel alt all that.
I wouldnt of even wanted to make a offer without a real close lookover.
Ask the guy in mass that had the kamma 502s that ended up being peanut port gen 4 454's
Old 02-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

IF you are a freshwater guy, you would be amazed..
Old 02-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by kmiller
Guy had an offer for $5000 so he sold it today anyways.
The decision has been made on your behalf!
That's sort of good, you don't have to stress over whether it's worthwhile. Good luck as the search starts again!

RR
Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kmiller
I'm a freshwater guy and found a deal on a used HP500 that's from saltwater. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk and how much damage can really happen to the block and heads? How cheep should it be to justify what might need to be replaced? Do I run away or go for it?

Thanks
Kyle
Kyle I bought my boat two years ago, 98 hp500 carb 180 hours, I pulled the engine for complete rebuild because I wanted some piece of mind. The intake was pitted and unsalvagable. The block was sonic tested and the machine shop refused to rebuild. Cylinder walls were too thin,Heads were rebuildable because most of the salt water drains down, I bought a new block and only reused the crank and exterior dressing. If you buy, buy cheap and plan on a new block and about 7k of other parts and labor. Just my .02$
Old 02-13-2017, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by two7pro
Kyle I bought my boat two years ago, 98 hp500 carb 180 hours, I pulled the engine for complete rebuild because I wanted some piece of mind. The intake was pitted and unsalvagable. The block was sonic tested and the machine shop refused to rebuild. Cylinder walls were too thin,Heads were rebuildable because most of the salt water drains down, I bought a new block and only reused the crank and exterior dressing. If you buy, buy cheap and plan on a new block and about 7k of other parts and labor. Just my .02$
Also my new motor will have a salt away system
Old 02-14-2017, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
The intake manifold will most likely be junk at the very least even a lot of times not even from saltwater usage - those intakes had brass inserts in the water ports and that caused its own corrosions for the aluminum to be eaten away. Many times this caused water to leak into the lifter valley. Dissimilar metal corrosion.

IMO I would pass and look for something else

I have yet to see a brasslined hp500 intake. ive also researched it and couldn't find anyone who had one brass lined.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a few engines with Brass lined intakes but never had a problem with them being eating away or leaking. I do always flush and trailed. One boat I owned (25 Checkmate mtr) I docked from spring till fall without flushing except when I pulled to clean bottom every 3or4 weeks and had no problem or corrosion in brass manifold either.I have come across rot through into lifter valleys on a few small blocks without brass crossovers.I can see the two different metals reacting in salt water but it just has not happened to me, yet. I have a holley tall deck efi manifold only that has brass insert that I bought used at a garage sale that has no corrosion either.I do believe it happens though.

Last edited by TwoKs; 02-14-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.