sealant for transom bolt holes >

sealant for transom bolt holes

Notices

sealant for transom bolt holes

Old 10-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sealant for transom bolt holes

moving k-planes to a new location on the transom, what sealant / filler should be use to plug the old holes? i’ve been tolled polyurethane adhesive #5200 by 3M is the best choice. anyone else have an opinion, or experience with filling old bolt holes?
Old 10-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Registered

I use Marine Tex. Works great.

BT
Old 10-09-2002, 04:21 PM
Registered

5200 is what I was told as well.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Registered

I have used 5200 on many boats.. the stuff works great. I have used just marine silicone sealent too.. its all good
Old 10-09-2002, 04:44 PM
Intolerant1

I have heard 5200 works too well if you ever need to remove the part you will damage the hull. Of course I didnt find that out until after I used it to mount my semi-submerged exhaust tips. 4200 Im told is the better choice if the installation is not needed to be permanent.

Old 10-09-2002, 06:16 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dean, If your going to plug holes in your transom, I would epoxy some wooden dowels in the old location and finish off with some combination of glass fibers, resin and gelcoat. There are others on this board who can give you the right recipe for this project as I am no expert. I have been through this and wouldn't consider 5200 as a means to plug a hole. It is a great below waterline sealant for hardware etc.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:06 PM
Registered

ok,
hey thanks guys. i guess i need to look into this a little deeper. i can epoxy the hell out’a anything.....but i don’t know to much about fibers, resin and gelcoat.
i guess i should have mentioned that the holes are small (3/8”) and all but one will be covered by the trim-tab transom mounting plate, the hole that will be exposed will be completely out of sight.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:33 AM
Registered

I did several 3/8 holes last year with marine tex and they are rock solid. Wish I'd thought of RLW's wood dowel idea then becasue that sounds better. I haven't dressed the area with gel coat yet, but it doesn't look that bad either. The stuff sands readily and is quite structurally permanent. Not sure if 5200 does this.

My .02

BT
Old 10-10-2002, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I used "Life Seal" and purchased it at West Marine. You can buy it in small tubes or large. It is made for above and below (or both)waterline applications---read directions before purchase. It comes in either white or black. I was going to use the 3M 5200, but decided not to because as Intolerant1 said, if you ever need to remove something in the future 3M 5200 can be extremely difficult to remove----especially without damaging the hull/equipment. I used the Life Seal and Life Caulk to reinstall the extension boxes, drives, K-planes, through hull bolts and all the other hardware on my boat this past summer. Plus I would apply it on the threads of any and all screws inside my hull when rigging the wires/hoses looms back into the fiberglass. Everyone has their own theory on this I guess, but I am going by what I have experienced and what I think works best for me. I have seen people use the 3M 5200 on K-planes and then later have to remove it-----or try to remove it. They ended up damaging their hull by ripping the gel coat and even some fiberglass from the hull. Bolt holes might be okay though.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:03 AM
Offshore Addiction

if there behind the K-planes,you could consider a two part fast dry epoxy,(available at any auto parts store)if your not familiar with fiberglass,you should be able to fill the holes with it and sand it straight,and then a small bead of 5200 to seal the plane into place,to much and you will peel the gel coat if you need to move them again......

Quick Reply: sealant for transom bolt holes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.