Water flow vs oil flow... >

Water flow vs oil flow...

Notices

Water flow vs oil flow...

Old 05-15-2023, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Water flow vs oil flow...

From what it looks like (to me...BUT please correct me if I'm wrong), my oil flow (remote oil filter) is going in the same direction as my water flow in the oil cooler/heat exchanger...AGREED?
I am only running 600hp out of Gen V 489 CIDs. As mildly as I run, I do not seem to have any high temperature (oil or water) issues. That being said, as I pickup my game I will probably also pick up my speeds/stresses.
Can anyone guesstimate the % increase in efficiency (decrease in oil temperature) I would get if I went through the trouble to reverse the oil flow through the heat exchanger?
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by F14A water jet; 05-15-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Following
Old 05-15-2023, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Oil is not cooled through a heat exchanger, are you referring to the oil cooler where the circle is ? if so reversing the flow IMO would make little to no difference in temps
Old 05-15-2023, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Oil is not cooled through a heat exchanger, are you referring to the oil cooler where the circle is ? if so reversing the flow IMO would make little to no difference in temps
Isn't an oil cooler still a "heat exchanger" in the technical definition? Its function is exchanging the heat contained in the oil, with the (cooler temperature) water flowing through it.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrFeelgood:
1983ScarabIII (05-15-2023), AmiableDave (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

IDK, when I hear heat exchanger I go to closed cooled and antifreeze.........
Old 05-15-2023, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Tom, you didn't say here what your current running temps are (and I cannot remember from our chat the other day), but I'd just watch your gauges. If you're running on the pins for a good stretch and you're staying under 250, I'd say you're in good shape. Should you run it in the opposite direction of water flow? Sure, the diagrams recommend it. But if it's staying under 250, I'm not sure I'd be inclinded to bother with it.

What are your temps running WOT for a good stretch (say a couple miles or so)?

Old 05-15-2023, 03:04 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

I had to go back into my history and find the article i read last week about this very thing....they say best is counter flow or against the flow of one another for best exchange......so oil will flow into or against the flow of water going through heat exchanger:
Flow Direction

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wally:
1983ScarabIII (05-15-2023), SB (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 510 Likes on 203 Posts

Good topic to know right? I spent a few hours calling around because I was curious.
I called Mercury Marine and they're no help. Even if your engine is out of warranty. Mercury Marine won't tell you how to configure anything other than factory. Or even tell you about specifics about the factory configuration. Won't even tell me if you could run engine oil, instead of power steering fluid, through the heat exchanger. Told me to call a dealer. That's when I said, it was your engineers that came up with the flow direction and parts needed.
Called four heat exchanger manufacturers. All said their information is proprietary. But did say running the oil countercurrent (opposite of the cooling water) did reduce oil temperature.
I called Lenco who probably makes the coolers for Mercruiser. A gall answer the phone and I asked to speak to an engineer or technician. She said you're talking to them. She was delirious. Said that the oil goes around and around...
I called Lucas oil. I asked to speak with their technician or engineer. Once again I was told you're speaking to them. Asked what's the optimum temperature your oil should be running ( marine oil). He said 145°f. That seemed a bit low to me.

What I did find was very interesting on MOTORTREND's web site. In parts it says engine oil should be 220° f to burn off deposits and accumulated water vapor. Said that race engines run best with high temp engine oil with cold cooling water makes the best power.

http://www.motortrend.com/how-to/eng...l-temperature/

Last edited by AmiableDave; 05-15-2023 at 05:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmiableDave:
1983ScarabIII (05-15-2023), Bondo (05-17-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Tom, you didn't say here what your current running temps are (and I cannot remember from our chat the other day), but I'd just watch your gauges. If you're running on the pins for a good stretch and you're staying under 250, I'd say you're in good shape. Should you run it in the opposite direction of water flow? Sure, the diagrams recommend it. But if it's staying under 250, I'm not sure I'd be inclined to bother with it.

What are your temps running WOT for a good stretch (say a couple miles or so)?
I hawk the gauges...probably too much (old habits).
I rarely run WOT for more than a few minutes/miles...that may be part of my issue/concern. Oil temps (at the remote oil filter in) stay around 180-210 and I've only seen 230 once for a minute or two. Water temps run 150 but I have seen 180-210 on rare occasions.

Last edited by F14A water jet; 05-15-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by AmiableDave
Good topic to know right? I spent a few hours calling around because I was curious.
I called Mercury Marine and they're no help. Even if your engine is out of warranty. Mercury Marine won't tell you how to configure anything other than factory. Or even tell you about specifics about the factory configuration. Won't even tell me if you could run engine oil, instead of power steering fluid, through the heat exchanger. Told me to call a dealer. That's when I said, it was your engineers that came up with the flow direction and parts needed.
Called four heat exchanger manufacturers. All said their information is proprietary. But did say running the oil countercurrent (opposite of the cooling water) did reduce oil temperature.
I called Lenco who probably makes the coolers for Mercruiser. A gall answer the phone and I asked to speak to an engineer or technician. She said you're talking to them. She was delirious. Said that the oil goes around and around...
I called Lucas oil. I asked to speak with their technician or engineer. Once again I was told you're speaking to them. Asked what's the optimum temperature your oil should be running ( marine oil). He said 145°f. That seemed a bit low to me.

What I did find was very interesting on MOTORTREND's web site. In parts it says engine oil should be 220° f to burn off deposits and accumulated water vapor. Said that race engines run best with high temp engine oil with cold cooling water makes the best power.

http://www.motortrend.com/how-to/eng...l-temperature/
Without a doubt, oil in any combustion engine should be allowed to reach 200+ degrees regularly, so that condensation can boil off, reducing acidity and resultant corrosion. Fuel dilution can also be reduced if the oil gets hot enough to vaporize the fuel out of the oil, but I don't know how hot that would be.

Crazy that it's so difficult to get good info as you experienced. I wonder how much is to protect them from liability vs. fear of divulging trade secrets?

Last edited by DrFeelgood; 05-15-2023 at 07:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.