Does anyone know Jim Benny???? Motor builder in Maryland >

Does anyone know Jim Benny???? Motor builder in Maryland

Notices

Does anyone know Jim Benny???? Motor builder in Maryland

Old 04-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know Jim Benny???? Motor builder in Maryland

Trying to get a hold of Jim Benny....the boat I bought he built the motor for and I hoping to get the build list of specs and the cam card.....heard he changed his shop name and I'm struggling to find his info any help would be awsum!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Good luck with that. I'd would want one also. If you get in touch with him see if he can forward dyno sheets also. I'd assume your running an intercooler. Changing shop name can be scary.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Good luck with that. I'd would want one also. If you get in touch with him see if he can forward dyno sheets also. I'd assume your running an intercooler. Changing shop name can be scary.
Got lucky to get the dyno sheets but not lucky enough to get the cam card.....assuming I have a marine cam but wanted to be sure because I'm putting mufflers on to quiet down for my lake....and I don't think it has an intercooler.....dual carbed with hood scoop on back pad
Old 04-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

You might call some other shops in the area. I grew up in Maryland and Jim was one of the most recommended and talked about guys for motor builds
Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

410-760-2636 Good luck
Old 04-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Haven't heard his name mentioned in over 10 years. Great engine builder with endless talent but his business acumen not so much. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sonicss42
Haven't heard his name mentioned in over 10 years. Great engine builder with endless talent but his business acumen not so much. Good luck.
Yes I have heard nothing but good things about him...someone has to know how to get a hold of him lol
Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still need him? I think I know where his current shop is - cant describe it, cause I don't know the names or route numbers - can check monday - He re-built my first BBC performance motor, a 468, on the cheap back in the mid 90's, so cheap I would call it a favor today, with used pistons and my two bolt cast crank, reworked my oval port heads and poppped in larger valves - engine was NA in a 24x7, and yet never got beat by anything without boost - single or twin engine. He also went thru my carb for free, never dyno'd it, and yet I never again touched the carb - just set the timing once, and let it rip for almost 500 hours. Whenever I told someone it was a "Benny" motor, after they saw how it ran, they would respond "oh, no wonder"... I never ever let anyone know just how cheap he did that motor for....

Got him to pick me a cam a few years ago for my 540 - btw, his answer to what cam specs are was always "Oh, don't worry, I can get you another one", lol, and always said it with a smile. Also said he got "tired of the high end performance boat crowd in the area not wanting to pay their bills" - he was way too nice to chase people for money I think - and of course the game in the Balt/Wash area really came to almost a halt years ago anyway - between the economy in recent years, and everybody going to center consoles or getting old and/or going to play golf, lol. Both he and Dave Gavatos of MDG saw huge drops in the work, although Dave is having a crazy busy spring this year - not sure I can even get my new motor on his Dyno in May, and I've known him for 25 plus years, lol.

Text me a reminder, so I'll have your number, and I'll go find Jim. 301-367-0441 Eddy Reynolds

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 04-28-2017 at 08:03 PM.