Best Way to Remove Foam Around Gas Tank >

Best Way to Remove Foam Around Gas Tank

Notices

Best Way to Remove Foam Around Gas Tank

Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Best Way to Remove Foam Around Gas Tank

I have to remove the gas tank because my dumb a$$ put hole in the tank so what is the best way to remove the foam from around the tank?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The pantera or the python? And what year? And where is the hole?

Last edited by dereknkathy; 06-10-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:18 PM
Registered

Python I think center front of the tank on the bottom.

Last edited by Craney; 06-11-2017 at 03:08 AM. Reason: didnt read what wrote.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Can we ask...how?

*For the record, I can top the dumbest thing you've ever done.*
Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 AM
Registered

I ran a electrin's fish up the drain hole the center one that runs under the floor and gas tank.Well it got stuck when I was pulling it out, I pulled and turned on it a few times with no luck,so instead of taking my time l went and grabbed the vice grips and after about 5 or 6 Hard pulls I got it out. About 2 hours later I noticed a little bit of water in the bilge (what I thought was water) wrong it was gas. Bad day. The worst part was I just glued down the new carpet, I was almost done,all I had to do was install the front and rear new seats and I was done.Bad day!
Old 06-11-2017, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

I guess it was almost there anyways, you just made it happen...

chit happens!

Last time i did that, i took a sawzall and cut big chuck and took em out with a large but small pry bar... still need some patience to do it...

good luck!
Old 06-11-2017, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Craney
I ran a electrin's fish up the drain hole the center one that runs under the floor and gas tank.Well it got stuck when I was pulling it out, I pulled and turned on it a few times with no luck,so instead of taking my time l went and grabbed the vice grips and after about 5 or 6 Hard pulls I got it out. About 2 hours later I noticed a little bit of water in the bilge (what I thought was water) wrong it was gas. Bad day. The worst part was I just glued down the new carpet, I was almost done,all I had to do was install the front and rear new seats and I was done.Bad day!
I would look at the bright side. If it only took a fish tape to put a hole in the tank, it was probably going to fail at some time in the near future when you were enjoying a day on the water. You may have just saved yourself a fire or expensive SeaTow bill.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Have to agree, with it taking that little to put a hole, it was ready to spring a leak. My guess is your foam at the base of the take is wet, and the water will eat thru the tank. Replaced my tank a couple years ago, and have to cut the floor open then a hand saw works pretty well.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the problem is timing. you either spend the boating weekends cutting out the floor, gouging out the foam, etc,etc, or you find room for a 20 gallon moeller plastic tank for the next 2 months. mebbe in the cuddy? yeah it is kinda half-a$$ed but you have all fall to gut the cockpit and replace the tank. where do you run this guy? del river or margate-ocean city? in vintage chromo's resto thread for his pantera, on page 5 there is a bit about his fuel tank replacement. if these boats are that similar, they may all take essentially the same tank. at one point I stumbled across his tank measurements in his photobucket file. don't see it now, but he can probably find it for you. but 1 pic on page 5 shows the florida marine sticker which implies it is a standard tank they have on file. worth looking into. big fun. good luck. Derek.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

^^^You're kidding, right ? Even if he drains his fuel tank there will be a lot of vapor in there for a while. And what about the fuel under it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.