Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   500efi RPM (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/348372-500efi-rpm.html)

Bigstick00 07-13-2017 02:13 AM

500efi RPM

My engine rpm at w.o.t is 4800. Sent my prop in to bblades and had it labbed. Was told I should gain approximately 200-300 rpm. Put the prop back on and tested, I didn't gain any rpm at all according to my dash gauge and I lost my top end speed by about 9 mph. My top end speed was 74mph and now I can barely squeeze out 65mph. I don't have a stock 26p prop to go back to see if the labbing is my problem, or do I need to change something with the engine to gain rpm? Anybody else run into this problem? This post is not a slam or complaint towards bblades, the workmanship done to the prop is top notch and I really gained out of the hole and mid range. I was just trying to get a feel if it could possibly be the prop or something with the engine. I think it's time to do a leak down and compression test.

dereknkathy 07-13-2017 05:05 AM

I have never heard anything negative about him or his work. Suggestion: edit this post out so it doesn't sound like a complaint, then get hold of him directly. I am sure he will do something to take care of you. Nobody's product is ever 100% perfect. But you should give the guy you did business with a chance to at least discuss the issue before you go public...

sutphen 30 07-13-2017 05:18 AM

I'd be pulling the spark plugs and see whats going on.could be a wide variety of things going away.check the basics,,fuel and spark,make sure they're healthy.

92nsx 07-13-2017 09:33 AM

I wonder what is going on at Bblades:confused:.... We also had a local guy send his brand new props to them for labbing after getting #'s. Well he went from 74 mph to 11 mph!!! Boat wont even get on plane any more with out them blowing out. Had to swap props at the sand bar with another boat just so he could enjoy the weekend out.

bbladesprops 07-13-2017 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 92nsx (Post 4568661)
I wonder what is going on at Bblades:confused:.... We also had a local guy send his brand new props to them for labbing after getting #'s. Well he went from 74 mph to 11 mph!!! Boat wont even get on plane any more with out them blowing out. Had to swap props at the sand bar with another boat just so he could enjoy the weekend out.

92nsx,

What's going on at BBLADES is what has been going on since the day we opened the door. The best possible propeller sales repair, Lab Finishing and consultation we can offer.
I find it interesting when people who really aren't informed, offer their options in a negative way without complete exposure to the whole story.
I have no idea who you or what you are talking about. But, I bet there is a final answer that will explain everything and we look forward to doing that. Hopefully, if this is true, we will hear from the person with the issue. We have a great reputation for a reason and we will maintain it. Even when people try to bring you down.
92nsx, your avatar seems familiar to me. Do you have a ulterior motive?

Sincerely,
Brett

bbladesprops 07-13-2017 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bigstick00 (Post 4568601)
My engine rpm at w.o.t is 4800. Sent my prop in to bblades and had it labbed. Was told I should gain approximately 200-300 rpm. Put the prop back on and tested, I didn't gain any rpm at all according to my dash gauge and I lost my top end speed by about 9 mph. My top end speed was 74mph and now I can barely squeeze out 65mph. I don't have a stock 26p prop to go back to see if the labbing is my problem, or do I need to change something with the engine to gain rpm? Anybody else run into this problem? This post is not a slam or complaint towards bblades, the workmanship done to the prop is top notch and I really gained out of the hole and mid range. I was just trying to get a feel if it could possibly be the prop or something with the engine. I think it's time to do a leak down and compression test.

Bigstick,

It looks like, from what you posted, that you did gain rpm. And, we reduced the slip % sizablely.
What I mean is, In order for you to increase mid range speed or efficiency, and not lose WOT rpm, rpm had to ultimately go up.
You're just not seeing it at WOT. So, there is probably a adjustment that can be done to reduce the mid range increases and add to WOT.
We may have tightened up the progression too much.
I'd do the engine checks first though.

Brett

Bigstick00 07-13-2017 03:05 PM

Sorry for the ill comment from 92nsx, I really have a hard time believing 74mph to 11mph. Brett your shop did an excellent job working my prop, especially considering it was damaged when you received it. I feel the mid range gains were pretty significant. I don't run my boat at WOT much so it's really not a big concern, just kind of more a wow factor than anything else. I will run some tests with the engine first and if my results end up good, we can go from there. And again, sorry for any confusion about my post! I would never hesitate to send you another prop!

Gerald LaLonde

bbladesprops 07-13-2017 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bigstick00 (Post 4568761)
Sorry for the ill comment from 92nsx, I really have a hard time believing 74mph to 11mph. Brett your shop did an excellent job working my prop, especially considering it was damaged when you received it. I feel the mid range gains were pretty significant. I don't run my boat at WOT much so it's really not a big concern, just kind of more a wow factor than anything else. I will run some tests with the engine first and if my results end up good, we can go from there. And again, sorry for any confusion about my post! I would never hesitate to send you another prop!

Gerald LaLonde

Gerald,
Thank you for the follow up.
If there is something we can do to improve, of course we will. At least we can try to get some top speed back. It will most likely require some give back in the mid range. There is usually give and take with this adjustment. The adjustments can usually be reversed or modified.
Torque and HP curves affect the changes too. 9mph is a substantial and quite unusual drop in speed. I do feel there may be something else occurring.
Let me know how the engine checks go.

Brett

Hook'em 07-13-2017 03:33 PM

+1 I've had excellent results from Bblades/Brett's consulting and prop work.....Repeated several times. Won't use anyone else myself.

I dont think 92nsx intent was to bash. He's been around and knows better. I'm givin the benefit of the doubt on this one. You're in great hands Gerald, but you knew that.

92nsx 07-13-2017 04:35 PM

Brent,
No intent to bash, noulterior motive . Brent you labbed my old boats prop and worked good. 265 Baja.

How ever Charles sent you his off his props after testing for the numbers. 31 Scarab, 27 mirage's. I can get you bb numbers tonight if needed. His first time out with then new labbed props(this 4th july wknd).. 11 mph. Could not get on plane or passed 1500 rpms with out blowing out. We tried every combo. Last year was a 74 mph. So 74 to 11 mph. I'm sure he called you July 5th about it.

To keep him on the water that Monday we swapped/removed the props off the 302 (26 bravos) and put on his Scarab. 302 Pete wanted to try my 25 mirage+ anyways.

There is the story. No bashing, just real life, first hand experience, with facts. No BS. Brent you have my info feel free to contact me or Charles.

My avatar? I'll have to look and see once on a computer.

Best regards
Rob Miller

​​​​​​Edit: He call the 6th, and spoke to Brad. So Brent you should be able to get more from him. You want Charles to eat more shipping cost so you can measure them again. You just measured and labbed them. What is there to measure again?