500efi intake manifold on a 502mpi >

500efi intake manifold on a 502mpi

Notices

500efi intake manifold on a 502mpi

Old 07-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500efi intake manifold on a 502mpi

I have the opportunity to pick up a 500efi intake manifold, Throttle Body & filter for next to nothing, bc my buddy is going with a Whipple on his blue motor. Can I simply swap the manifold on my 502mpi that I plan on mildly building in the future? I would assume that my ECM would need to be re-flashed as well.
I have a 1999 Baja Outlaw with a 502mag mpi with a set of Lightning exhaust manifolds
Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 AM
Registered

Sure you can. I just installed one. You most likely would not need to reflash unless you do additional mods as well, as long as you keep an eye on the A/F ratios (have an O2 sensor). The different locations of the various sensors might be a complication though as well as the fuel line connections. You also need the fuel rails for the 500 as I do not know that the Mag ones fit. Several styles of Mag ones over the years.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If his buddy isn't using the manifold, he probly isn't using the fuel rail either. Mebbe OP should try n work a deal for his cam, ecm, exhausts...
Old 07-31-2017, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

The intake is slightly better than a 502 mpi in some ways but the big difference between the motors is the camshaft. I used a 500efi cam in a 502 w highly modified 502 mpi intake and with extensive tuning on my dyno i was able to make 560 hp fwiw. The intake alone will prob only give you a 20hp gain maybe, Smitty
Old 07-31-2017, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

While you can swap it out, it is not a direct bolt on. Well, the intake is but nothing else will be. The fuel lines are totally different, as are sensor locations. You should get the rail with it as your buddy doesn't need it. The mag rail certainly won't work. You may be able to get by with the same tune but I can't say for sure. It really won't help much on a stock engine but it will be a better choice if you plan on upgrading the engine. If you are planning on upgrading, I would just sit on the intake until you are ready to do it and then install that intake and have it tuned all at once.
Eddie
Old 08-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Registered

Unfortunately, he swapped his cam last year with one that was more fitting for forced induction, and I did not own my boat yet, so it was already sold. I will be getting the fuel rail as well with the manifolds and TB. As far as the sensors are are concerned will I need to extend their wires to get them to fit, or will I need to completely replace the sensor/s?
Thank You All for your help
Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

I used the 502 mpi harness on a 500 efi intake, strip the harness all the way back to the ECM plugs and reroute the connectors, I think I only had to extend two wires, one was the water temp sensor in the thermo housing and one other ?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
I used the 502 mpi harness on a 500 efi intake, strip the harness all the way back to the ECM plugs and reroute the connectors, I think I only had to extend two wires, one was the water temp sensor in the thermo housing and one other ?
excellent,
Thank You
Old 08-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Dont try to run the cool fuel their crap, get a quality EFI pump, bypass regulator and a return line to the tank or filler neck
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Dont try to run the cool fuel their crap, get a quality EFI pump, bypass regulator and a return line to the tank or filler neck
What is "cool fuel" this is my first crack at the marine world. I can turn a wrench with no problem, but Im trying to gather as much info as I can before jumping into it.
Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.