Milkshake on rebuilt engine >

Milkshake on rebuilt engine

Notices

Milkshake on rebuilt engine

Old 05-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milkshake on rebuilt engine

got down to loto. Backed off the trailer and idled for about 10 min waiting on a buddy. Started towards our condo and 10 minutes into the ride noticed the oil psi was lower then normal. Was reading 40# at 3500 rpm (normally 65+). Came off plane and oil psi went to 20#. Shut down and lifted the hatch. Looks like a bomb went off. Oil everywhere. Milky oil. Started up and its pumping out the fuel pump vent tube. Motor is running fine but its dumping milkshake oil out the fuel pump vent tube. Its way up on the dipstick so its definitly getting water from somewhwere. I think its way to milky to be mixing with fuel

called my motor guy who said to bring it back but any ideas what could have happened?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:59 PM
Registered

This makes me sick to my stomach.
Attached Thumbnails Milkshake on rebuilt engine-img_2818.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is oil and water.

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE
Something didn't get sealed properly
Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

i had that happen on a used 454 back in the day... gave my customer a 502 (he was very happy) and had to rebuild the engine... but it was used !

looks like you are in the same boat but with an already rebuilt one ! that is worse than my case... gasket or cracked head or cracked block? i hope it is a simple fix for you...
Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Doubtful from launching it. It is possible to get water in sticking exhausts under, but it is on top of pistons and would hydrolock when cranking. Same with bad exhausts that started leaking. Was anything recently worked on? Intake gaskets will do this, but usually from being installed incorrectly. The water passage across front of intake could rot through and do this, but that is usually on old engines. But pulling intake is quickest, easiest, firstest thing to check.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

As mentioned, intake gasket would be quickest and most likely. Head gasket would be next IMO.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:27 PM
Registered

Fixed an oil leak from a cracked filter adapter. Run the boat good on sunday with no issues. Figured everything was fine. Ran for a couple hours this past wknd. I would think a head gasket would cause a miss or run like chit.

Intake bolts are tight. Bottom of the motor is clean. Heads are new. Im hopeful its just an oil cooler or intake gasket or something easy but my luck has been pretty chitty lately.

Last edited by cabin fever; 05-31-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:56 PM
Registered

Oil cooler. Possible. What is higher in oil cooler? Oil or water pressure. Cuz unless oil press was pretty much bled off to nothing, you would get pretty rainbows coming out exhaust with oil in the cooling water too. So unhook oil from oil cooler and hook lines together. Run engine-after replacing engine oil a couple of times. Is water coming out fittings where oil lines go? Bilge is already a superfund site. Just drain oil into bilge and out the drain plug-on trailer of course. You suck oil out and refill, there will much more left behind and will take many more drain-refills to clean up. No Mobil one here. Walmart oil. Dollar store oil. Sh!t-waste oil. It is only gonna run 5 min at idle then get dumped again. Oh yeah. Only enough to get oil pressure at idle. 2-3 quarts at a time should do it.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:04 PM
Registered

Ok, c​​​​​​​racked filter adapter. Other end of one of those hoses goes to cooler. Possible you could have stressed the cooler pulling on hose while changing. Each possibility is extremely unlikely and a stretch, but one of em is the guilty party. Those new heads just became suspects too...
Old 05-31-2017, 10:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

There where issues the 1st and only run last year too.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post4505766

Originally Posted by cabin fever;12-01-2016 11:59 AM 4505766
Drained the water from the motor and manifolds the past weekend. (Keep the shop heated but you never know)

1. What ever it is is round/smooth cylinder shapped. I could feel it/move it with my finger. Guessing 3 inches long

2. Its the same thing on both manifolds. Same exact piece in both manifolds i can feel/ move through the drains but cant get it out

3. Stbd manifold drained no water. None!

4. Pulled the hose off the crossover and someobe has put a piece of airhose inside the water hose that diverts water to the manifolds. Wtf is with that? Some type of red neck water psi bypass?

5. I think i figured out why my oil temps were higher then i wanted. Main hose from the impeller to the cooler was twisted and kinked. Surprised there was any water getting to the oil cooler at all.

I have some work to do over the winter. It will be a week or so before i start on anything. To many irons in the fire rifht now.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by SB; 05-31-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.