Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help Chasing Erratic Idle Please >

Help Chasing Erratic Idle Please

Notices

Help Chasing Erratic Idle Please

Old 05-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I don't see an issue for just idling. Mine was running a bit rich and resemble mine with VST
Old 05-28-2019, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Just a thought......I was going through my engines and changing fuel filters this past weekend. On my weaker motor, I found where the Mercruiser factory fuel line (one that runs from filter head to fuel pump) has collapsed about 1/2" past the stainless factory crimped fitting. I have seen that happen on other motors, especially if someone had messed with lines and not been careful with their placement or not holding the fitting bend to prevent rotation while tightening.

You might want to inspect those hoses between separator/filter and VST pump. Would give a major supply restriction if collapsed somewhere.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Hard to read the plugs from a pic, but don't see anything scary. Still getting fault codes?
No codes and all parameters in the screenshots of the scanner above are within spec.

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel

You might want to inspect those hoses between separator/filter and VST pump. Would give a major supply restriction if collapsed somewhere.
Originally Posted by AllDodge
I don't see an issue for just idling. Mine was running a bit rich and resemble mine with VST
I feel there isn't any conclusive evidence on them either. As a result I've purchased an adjustable pressure regulator hat to add to the OE unit and will bump the fuel pressure up (w/ vac. Line on the regulator and within specs) until it idles. I want to also check the available parameters to scan on an MEFI 1 in case I can also look at injector pulse width and duty cycle etc., but from what I recall reading previous said details may not be available.

I'll post back with my findings.

Keith

Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried running it on a separate gas container to rule out a supply/ tank issue, does it have separate fuel tanks for each motor? Your other motor is running good if i remember.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by camptappakeg69
Have you tried running it on a separate gas container to rule out a supply/ tank issue, does it have separate fuel tanks for each motor? Your other motor is running good if i remember.
Same tank for both engines and the other is running fine. The suspect pickup has been checked and is clean, the supply line to lift pump is new, the 90* fitting at the lift pump is clear, the lift pump is new, the VST rebuilt including new electric pump, fuel pressure regulator new, all associated vac lines and vent lines checked and clear. Literally the only part of the fuel system that hasn't been touched is the injectors but per the spark plug pics posted above I don't see a glaring issue with an injector.

Keith
Old 05-31-2019, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Don't agree, at no time should fuel be in the yellow hose.
My prior build used the VST and I removed it with current build. The VST is prone to vapor lock, and mine did VL at times, but no time was fuel present in the line

Your pressure is 37 psi, and when black smoke comes there is no fuel in the over flow line?

On my 502 there is a yellow vent tube that lead down to the mech fuel pump, my understanding was this was only in case the mechinal pump diaphragm failed it would send fuel to the vst instead of puking it into the bilge. There was a bigger shorter black hose that vented to the plenum from the vst had issues and would send it to the intake near cylinders # 5&7. Just wanted to verify you checked this vent while running.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:22 PM
Registered

On my 502 there is a yellow vent tube that lead down to the mech fuel pump, my understanding was this was only in case the mechinal pump diaphragm failed it would send fuel to the vst instead of puking it into the bilge. There was a bigger shorter black hose that vented to the plenum from the vst had issues and would send it to the intake near cylinders # 5&7. Just wanted to verify you checked this vent while running.
All yellow hoses new and clear of fluids.

VST to plenum hose verified dry as a bone while running 5 days ago.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Registered

Small filter on the pressure regulator clogged? Anti-siphon valve on tank?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM
Registered

Small filter on the pressure regulator clogged? Anti-siphon valve on tank?
Pressure regulator brand new Mercruiser and valve in tank eliminated years ago.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:15 AM
Registered

UPDATE

With the adjustable fuel pressure regulator it idled cold beautiful yesterday with base pressure at 36 psi, corrected vacuum at 28 psi. Both are within manual spec. Prior to the adjustable FPR the (vacuum) fuel pressure was at 26 and would constantly stall cold.

Once it began warming up the IAC steps got higher and it was stalling. IAC steps were 20's when cold and gradually got to 70's when hot. No other parameters on the scanner/logger changed. I don't understand why the IAC is closing and choking off air. It's a brand new Mercruiser unit, the 4th I've tried now. There was no change in gauged vacuum nor fuel pressure. Ran out of time but I'm going to re-check timing next as that's literally the last thing I can do, other than pulling injectors and sending out for testing.

Keith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.