8.2 Mag 2011 locked up >

8.2 Mag 2011 locked up

Notices

8.2 Mag 2011 locked up

Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.2 Mag 2011 locked up

Has anybody had an 8.2 Mag lock up ? Not hydraulic but a hard lock with #2 spark plug smashed, motor has 160 hours no alarms did not over heat just straight up took a sh--- ?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Registered

any remans out there for the 8.2 mag
Old 08-16-2017, 09:21 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

there was a 30 page Service bulletin all about this issue. Plus recal updates for the PCM. My guess is your engine never got back to the dealer. I can run engine serial to see what comes up.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Looked quick on the net BUP.

Found this:

Service Bulletin 2011-03 is what is being talked about. A rather lengthy bulletin for new 8.2L cat equipped engines. there is a 30 page service bulletin on the 8.2 for hydro locking issues. Boat purchased 6/08/11, service bulletin issued 6/10/11 Here's the gist of it.

Situation

Mercury Marine has determined that some 8.2 Sterndrive Emission Control engine models within the Models Affected serial number range may experience a hydraulic lock after hard running conditions and keying off. This situation may prevent the engine from restarting and could damage internal engine components.

In addition, Mercury Marine is taking this opportunity to address potential fault codes set due to corrosion in the oxygen sensor connection, misfire codes due to spark plug wire damage, and a propulsion control module (PCM) replacement to address injector driver issues that may cause the injector to stick open or closed.

Also, Mercury Marine determined that the position of the clamp on the flame arrestor may have resulted in differences in the amount of torque applied to the clamp at the factory.

Owner Notificaton

A letter will be sent to every registered owner of an affected 8.2 Sterndrive Emission Control–powered boat. The letter will advise the owner to take the boat to any Mercury MerCruiser authorized dealer for certain upgrades to the engine. Some affected power packages will have been updated before shipment. Visit MercNET or contact MerCruiser Customer Service or your regional service center to determine whether repairs have already been completed on a given package.

As a Mercury MerCruiser dealer, you should also contact affected customers to make them aware of this recall and to schedule an appointment for the repair. A copy of the customer letter is attached.

Correction

An exhaust elbow inspection, and replacement when required, coupled with the installation of the vent valve assembly are corrections intended to prevent the hydraulic lock situation.

Inspection of the oxygen sensor, oxygen sensor connections, and spark plug wires, including replacement of these components when required, is necessary to correct the potential fault code issues.

Replace the PCM when indicated. Engines without PCM replacement are required to receive a PCM reflash using the CDS G3 tool to update the calibrations and software to the latest version.

Inspecting, repositioning, and tightening the flame arrestor’s clamp to specification eliminates possible differences in the torque value applied to the clamp. Follow the procedures in this bulletin and complete each action for an affected engine.

Sterndrive Models:

8.2 MAG ECT

8.2 MAG H.O. ECT

SeaCore 8.2 MAG ECT

SeaCore 8.2 MAG H.O. ECT

Engine Serial Number Range 1A350340 – 1A352732

In short, if a customer has purchased a boat with a MerCruiser 8.2L ECT, and it's affected by this bulletin, one would receive a letter. Unless perhaps in Canada, with the postal strike going on...
Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I believe I found the 30 page Service Bulletin.
BULLETIN [10-JUN-2011] - FIELD CAMPAIGN ON 8.2 STERNDRIVE ECT ENGINES
Bulletin No. 2011-03R1 OEM No. 2011-02R1
Click here: FIELD CAMPAIGN ON 8.2 STERNDRIVE ECT ENGINES | Service Bulletin | Crowley Marine

Last edited by SB; 08-16-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 PM
BUP
Banned

I have it printed out as well plus Merc dealers can get all related SB's on Merc net.

This SB has been revised at least once or twice - I have it and the revised SB's It is 30 pages long if not more. They has issues at first with these CAT 8.2 's but all is worked out know.

AND I KNOW HOW MUCH you like when I post SB's = Service bulletins haha

Last edited by BUP; 08-16-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by SB
I believe I found the 30 page Service Bulletin.
BULLETIN [10-JUN-2011] - FIELD CAMPAIGN ON 8.2 STERNDRIVE ECT ENGINES
Bulletin No. 2011-03R1 OEM No. 2011-02R1
Click here: FIELD CAMPAIGN ON 8.2 STERNDRIVE ECT ENGINES Service Bulletin Crowley Marine
Have no idea how you find this OEM stuff ------ and yes that is the SB I was talking about. I did not see this post from you until now. This is just one of the SB's for the 8.2's. There is more as well, like I said the newly 8.2 had issues - more than most would ever know about.

Last edited by BUP; 08-16-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the plug is killed, piston, rod, or valve head broke off, any of them probably terminal
Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
If the plug is killed, piston, rod, or valve head broke off, any of them probably terminal
I was thinking the same thing. Whatever may have caused it, water doesn't smash plugs. Broken parts do. And fixing the symptom is not the same as fixing the problem. But in this case it looks like a valve dropped a head or piston came apart or something. So the cause may or may not be revealed as the autopsy is performed, but the engine damage has to be dealt with whatever the cause. It also can get confusing when SB starts talking about SB's.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Registered

any ideas on remans for the 8.2 mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.