Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 HO Manifold Replacement >

496 HO Manifold Replacement

Notices

496 HO Manifold Replacement

Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, compared to the rest of the 38 specials it seems nicest for the price. It is a lives-in-water boat. But it looks like fresh water use. And the big lake in that area backs that up. Tampa to Vermont is a hike. Find a surveyor to inspect it before you even go look at it, unless you are up to your ass in frequent flyer miles anyway. There are 93 38 specials asking price close to that one. 04 and 06 people want 120? That is a wide disparity in asking prices. But it sounds like this guy wants to sell and move on. Are you driving up north and towing it home yourself? 9 foot 3 beam. I think that requires a permit but not oversize load placards and chase cars and stuff. Because doing it yourself is a week of your life and 2000 miles at under 10 mpg. And 2 stops on the way home to repair flats and/or smoked trailer bearings. I am not up on current boat hauler prices. I don't hate the bimini. And in the florida sun you will be glad you didn't toss it. Does it have air? A lot of damn Yankee boats dont.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-26-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Registered

Have you been on a 38 special yet? There,are 2 for sale in fl. Port Canaveral and miami. Go see one. That boat isn't much bigger inside than the bayliner. It is a LOT smaller inside than the cruisers 50. I assume the cruisers is more of a shore house than a driver? When you go to leave the marina, the baja isn't much smaller or easier to handle than the cruisers. It is a LOT bigger than the bayliner. You already have a nice big shore house that floats. And the 2452 can handle tampa bay pretty good. And you pull up a decent size tarpon and look at the cockpit of that baja. "No way is that friggin fish coming on THIS boat!!" I think what you are loking for at this point is more of a pure performance boat. Something 32 to 35 that can run down the bay at 65 to 70 without breaking a sweat.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Derek. Thanks for the info. All good points. We live in Tampa Bay Area and that is where we use the bayliner. It is roomy but has no air or genny. It is also very hard to maneuver in reverse. To fix all that I would need to put in a genny, air, a bravo 3 outdrive and a 377 or better to move all that weight. The cruiser has twins and a bow thruster. It handles and docks well. We keep it in Miami area and it is our Bahamas Boat. Here is a 38 in Miami. It is probably a 95 or 96 and is the same price as the one in Vermont that is a 2003.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...243230640.html
I actually love that on in Miami except for the Motors. I dont know anything about those motors except they are carb motors and I am looking for EFI. Dont know why because I have had better luck with carb motors. . I could fly up and look at the one in Vermont but would have to hire someone to haul it. I cant help but think the resale would be better on the 2003 in Vermont.
Chris
Old 08-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2,973 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Big, Heavy, I like the 38, great over night boat, no speed demon, but you need more than a 1/2 ton to pull it....lol
Old 08-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Registered

I was only mentioning the semi-local ones to see if you liked that model without going to vermont to see one. Not suggesting it as an alternative to the VT boat. If you are a 2-coast FL boater, that is completely different. And the Vermont boat is clearly the nicest 38 spcl under 100k, at least of these samples. And the boats with blue engines, all the value is in the engines. Way more upkeep and fuel to go 3 or 4 mph faster at WOT. And you don't sound like a WOT kind of guy. So I'll stop trying to talk you out of a 3rd boat... I think SB is a New Hampshire guy. So he may be able to recommend some surveyors up that way.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-26-2017 at 04:06 PM.