Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Trailer suspension fiasco (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/349437-trailer-suspension-fiasco.html)

Tahoe540 08-27-2017 09:28 AM

Trailer suspension fiasco

4 Attachment(s)
I was checking the bearings, putting new grease in with new seals when I got to the second side and found the equalizer was broken. It looks like it has been broken for awhile but a trip down a dirt road finished it off. I can't seem to find a 6 1/2" eye to eye equalizer and the piece looks like it was made for the trailer. Would this be common on a boat trailer as they can be custom? I am planning on replacing them with solid 1 3/4" square and just drilling the holes. Any other ideas?

dereknkathy 08-27-2017 09:55 AM

Easternmarine.com they have a ton of them. 10 to 40 bucks. That square tubing drilled right thru the middle was crying to be broken since it was new.

Tahoe540 08-27-2017 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Upon closer inspection it likes the other side is going too. What is weird is the center pivot hole is not in the same spot on each side? I am just going to make my own out of solid stock.

dereknkathy 08-27-2017 03:05 PM

Don't put hole thru the middle. Wiped out all of its structural strength. Put it underneath the equalizer.

BenPerfected 08-27-2017 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by dereknkathy (Post 4578667)
Easternmarine.com they have a ton of them. 10 to 40 bucks. That square tubing drilled right thru the middle was crying to be broken since it was new.

link: Double Eye Trailer Leaf Springs at Trailer Parts Superstore

dereknkathy 08-27-2017 03:11 PM

I don't think length has to be exact. The shackles either side can lean in or out a bit. Anything from 6 to 7 inch should work. I'll post a link to a couple of possibilities in a few.

Tahoe540 08-27-2017 03:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The other side is wiped out too. I really don't want to mess with changing the suspension geometry. Why wouldn't a solid piece of 1 3/4" work and be stronger? They did sleeve it but not a well made part or design for the weight of the boat.

dereknkathy 08-27-2017 03:38 PM

Be cause when you drill a 9/16 hole through it, it is now half of 1-7/8 minus half of the 9/16 hole. 2 pieces. 1 above and 1 below the hole. You weld a sleeve to the bottom of the 1-7/8 piece, you have raised the equalizer 1 inch. Might raise the trailer a half inch. Your idea would probably work, since it looks like more damage was the sleeve ripping thru the side of the tubing, as much as the equalizer breaking. But I tend to err on the side of overbuilding.

dereknkathy 08-27-2017 03:49 PM

Those equalizers were thrown together in the shop where that trailer was manufactured. Looks like they took about 10 minutes each. And I betcha they didn't harden them after softening them welding in those sleeves. Also, you put pivot on bottom or top of EQ, you could get 1 inch longer or shorter shackles and geometry would stay the same.

class6 08-27-2017 07:29 PM

The center bolt should have had a grease fitting if the correct bolt was in there