Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anybody ever use an LS3 engine in marine application? >

Anybody ever use an LS3 engine in marine application?

Notices

Anybody ever use an LS3 engine in marine application?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I talk about marinizing, talking about, water pump setup, exhaust, etc that stuff is pricey for LS at this point
Old 10-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
when I talk about marinizing, talking about, water pump setup, exhaust, etc that stuff is pricey for LS at this point
This spring a local guy was hounding me to install a ls3 in his boat, couldnt find a source for stock cooling system parts that came on some boats, manifolds , heat exchanger, motor mounts, pulleys/cooling pump appeared to be around 7000$ from hardinl. labor to retrofit it all, running engine, etc and it was north of 10,000 no mwtter how you dice it
Old 10-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My numbers are higher.
I expect just few cents less than 11.000 euros with taxes, except my and brothers work, but this is our hobby. Tell me for cheaper engine with 480 hp? No go to buy new marine engine with 400 + hp there in EU for less than 15.000 euro inclusive taxes. GM claim 495 hp with classic headers for LS367-480 engine and with marine headers like Kodiak or Marinepower, will gain another few hp. I know, at the end will go down for 5-10 hp becouse of more fuell pressure-seccurity for pistons, but at the end will be at least 460-470 hp at 5800 rpm on prop. This engines have probably better mileage than bbc (Better compression, 300# less weight...) and this 11.000 euro is not so much if is all this true.
By light pad kell boat, 27 ft long, or 29 LOA, with less than 4400# ready to ride it is 475 lb-ft probably enough for happy ride. And this torque is almost same betwen 4.300 and 5.000 rpm. with MSA surface drive, ZF 1,56 and labbed Maximus 26" I expect maximum speed arround 80 mph and best mileage close to 50 mph.

Is it unreall?
Is it expencive?

p.s.
Last days I hear a lot about diferent clearences, diferent gaskets... betwen street and marine engines. I understand if use direct cooling, but is this true with closse cooling and if you have in your mind heating time before full power?
What lambda numbers need to keep to avoid pistons burning?

Last edited by plavutka; 10-03-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my point exactly...great engines, have 2 race cars running them...will be great marine engines when more people do the marine parts
Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have 2 6.0 LQ9 s in a 30 ft cat 400 hp each out of 2005 Cadillac Escalades Was a big project.Used all components from donor vehicle.Sent computers out to get Vats removed.Stripped wire harness of un nessasary wires.Found Exhaust manifold from a friend (PCM Marine)
Engines require closed cooling. But they run great. Easy on fuel 2 of these burn the same as 1 BBC Took about a year to put them all together.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Plavutka, spring has passed. How did it turn out?
I have a similar project coming that don't need a ton of torque and will like lighter engine.
Anyone else who can share some new experiences is appreciated.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Registered

Hello,

We have all equipment there, but no time to put it together. Hopefully will put boat in water in september or october.
Marinising of LS3-480 is simply, we made time "mistake" with boat modification. We want to cover surface drive and propeller with integrated swiming platform and this aditionally half meter plus paint of all boat take us hughe time.

There I have two questions:
- have anybody experiences with durability of Hempel Ocean Gloss paint? We paint it with true white. Quite tricky to made mirror surface but nice when finish.
- we have exhausts http://californiamarine.com/images/c...rge/123215.jpg . Will be neceseary to tune originall software of engine becouse of this exhausts and will it bring or take few of claimed 495 bhp?

@Scandinavian, if you bring on propeler same rpm like by 8,2 HO you have much better troque like by 8,2 HO.
New 430 hp Volvo Penta is in fact marinising LS3.
Crate engine LS3 with 13 kg fliwhell and with out of marine eqipement have 200 kg.

Last edited by plavutka; 07-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Marine engines are about TQ not HP, they are cammed differently, different clearances and certainly the electrical system are built for a marine environment, this includes everything from ignition, to charging, to a simple starter they all need to be different). I'm sure the modifications can be done to make it work but certainly at a cost!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:09 AM
Registered

Not agree.

1.) If you look torque on prop by same prop rpm, you have better prop torque by LS3 than by 8,2 HO. Therefore you need to use B1 with 1,5 for BBC and 1,65 for LS3.
LS3.480 which we will use have 12% better torque than LS3.

2.) LS engines are cooled with cooling liquid and do not need any internall modification becouse salt water.

3.) Electronic it is electronic and hard to belive that "marine" aplication have diferent materiall than car aplications. One more coat of cable warnish and that is it more or less.
Starter and alternatos we buy speciall for marine aplication, but strictly becouse of safety and not becouse of environement...

Last edited by plavutka; 07-12-2018 at 03:16 AM.