Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anybody ever use an LS3 engine in marine application? >

Anybody ever use an LS3 engine in marine application?

Notices

Anybody ever use an LS3 engine in marine application?

Old 09-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody ever use an LS3 engine in marine application?

Maybe just a dream, but was wondering if anyone has ever swapped the Marinized LS3 into an application with Merc 6.2s.
Seems it would be a big increase in power....going to 425hp from 320hp. Not sure how the torque would compare, but this would be a pretty cool upgrade if you needed to repower.
Also, no idea how electronics would transfer...any ideas?

Thanks

6.2L LS3 Complete Engine Package - 425 hp - Michigan Motorz
Old 09-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I really like LS based motors. But for the price wanted (albeit a turn key motor), you'd be better off spending the same money on a big block.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are lots of build threads on LS motors for marine apps. There are exhausts, carb intakes, conversion mount plates. Converting the efi is probably the most involved task
Old 09-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a twin turbo LS motor fuel injected. To me being able to buy a "junkyard" motor and install it in a boat (with a cam change) and make 330hp all day long was a win for me. That 330hp doesn't matter if its EFI or Carb, on that note there is hardly any saving with a carb by the time you buy a MSD box, intake and marine carb vs sticking with a factory computer and manifolds. I personal went with Holley HP efi as the Twin Turbos add some complexity to the system and I thought that would be the easiest way to go.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yes but there a lot of backyard a$$holes that cant figure out efi to save their lives. and you can usually get a carb running again in the middle of the lake, or worse yet ocean.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Registered

True but how many millions of vehicles are running around with modern EFI and how many of them are broke down on the side of the road because of a failure in the fuel system? Does Mercury even make a CARB motor anymore? Infact I have heard about way more MSD boxes failure then I have stock ECU or even aftermarker for that fact. You will need to run a MSD box to run the COP on all LS motors, unless you want to spring for a fancy Cam driven Distributor but then what's the point of the LS why not just run a BBC.

Also keep in mind changing jets is simply a key stroke away, add in 02 sensors and it can be adjusting while your driving to different temps and air denistys. Idle manure are way better with modern EFI special when you start going with turbo or superchargers.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:26 AM
Registered

to run a carb MSD not your only choice, daytona makes a slick setup, using one on my son's grudge LSX fox body mustang, they are great engines, but still very pricey marineizing them at this point..
Old 09-17-2017, 05:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello,

Would be such engine Chevrolet LS3 376/480 480hp V8 Crate Engine - 19301358 Partsworld Performance good for marine aplication, or it is to much oppen? I am scared about reverse watter.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That cam should be just fine,

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/nal-88958753

are you using an O2/ lambda sensor?

jeff
Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Not yet, I looking to buy this engine and marinise it, but electric kit include all needed sensors.
I belive claims there on this forum that 8.2 HO is monster, but I really like this small engines. This one with 480 hp look really pretty and we are more and more convinced to marinise it. I know, it will not be performance boat in standards from this forum, but I will be happy with 75-80 mph on our small paad kel boat. (cca 3.300 lb rigged, with drive..., only engine missing.)
Ready to ride will be less than 4.200 lb with this engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.