502 mag efi won't start >

502 mag efi won't start

Notices

502 mag efi won't start

Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 mag efi won't start

I am seeking a little bit of advice. I have a 1997 fountain with the 502 efi engine, and while I was out on it over the weekend it died out after a 20 minute or so ride and will not refire. I pulled the water fuel seperater off and drained it to make sure there isn't any water in the fuel, which there wasn't any. So I then checked the mechanical fuel pump that is mounted to the sea water pump. The diaghpram in the pump appears to be ok, but the oil was extremely diluted. I put the fuel water seperater back on and the fuel pump, and the cranked the motor over for roughly 30 seconds or so. I pulled the fuel water seperater again to make sure that the pump is pumping, and found out that within 30 seconds of cranking it only filled the filter up 1/3 of the way. I then pulled the sea water pump to make sure that the lobe that is connected onto the pully shaft was still intact, I found that it isn't secured to the shaft. I spoke with someone a Hardin marine and they said that the lobe is supposed to slide on the shaft, but wasn't able to tell how much it should move. I was going to order a new fuel pump and sea water pump but after talking to hardin marine, I'm kind of second guessing myself. Any advice you guys can give me is greatfully appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

you need to refill the water separator filter completely to the top with new fuel, it needs this to prime, and yes the lobe runs on an eccentric and is loose fitting

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-26-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Spark checker under $10. Fuel psi checker under $40.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help. When I get home from work I'll check the fuel pressure. I wasn't expecting the lobe for the fuel pump to be eccentric. Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have spark, first things first..
Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 AM
Registered

I ended up jumping the gun on pulling the fuel pump. I ended up checking the cap and rotor, I found that I ended up burning a hole in the rotor. I replaced the cap and rotor, now it runs great. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nofearhky97
I ended up jumping the gun on pulling the fuel pump. I ended up checking the cap and rotor, I found that I ended up burning a hole in the rotor. I replaced the cap and rotor, now it runs great. Thanks again for the help.
What causes that to happen ?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Registered

I'm not 100% sure. I think that it has a lot to do with carbon being built up inside of the cap causing the spark to find the shortest way to ground. I did replace the cap and rotor in spring, so hopefully it was just a faulty part.