Gauge Needle Fade >

Gauge Needle Fade

Notices

Gauge Needle Fade

Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Gauge Needle Fade

I'm getting ready to replace all the gauges in the Scarab. I've owned Livorsi in the past and have been disappointed in how fast the orange needles fade out. Basically in 3 summers in northern Michigan, they all needed to be refaced, and the boat is covered most of the time. So the only other real option is Autometer. Who here has used them, and what has your experience been with needle fade, with the orange needles? If I go with the carbon version, they have polished metal needles so, they will be fine, but I'm not positive that is the route I want to go.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

The orange Autometer needles will fade from the sun just the same...buddy had them on his boat.....i just throw a towel over the dash when we are not boating to keep it out of the sun as much as possible.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The paint they use on the needles from over in ching chang land is junk I'm sure.

Time to go carbon !
Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have a cover made and keep dash covered when not running
Old 10-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Registered

I've done the towel trick, but it gets old and IMO you shouldn't have to do that on a set of high-end gauges. I used to work for PPG and I know they make paint that would hold up. I've talked to Fred at Livorsi about using a UV protected lens, which they have no intention on doing. I've also talked with a friend of mine that does plastic injection molding, and he said they could produce a needle that wouldn't fade. I just find it outrageous that it's possible to solve this issue for a few dollars, yet they are not willing to do that. Looks like I'll be going with the Autometer Carbon and metal needle option, I'm done throwing a towel over my gauges. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

A good argument to tint the windshield on my 272. I was going to go with Autometer just because of the stories of the Livorsi units fading, but I guess that's irrelevant.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
A good argument to tint the windshield on my 272. I was going to go with Autometer just because of the stories of the Livorsi units fading, but I guess that's irrelevant.
Livorsi gauges will fade noticeably in two seasons, which equates to maybe 20 days in the sun for me. The rest of the time, my boat sat under a full cover and the gauges got ZERO sun. For what these things cost from Livorsi, they should use quality parts. It's not just the needle that will fade. My last set I had, the silver carbon started to yellow. How is it that my 30 year old gauges in my Scarab still look pretty good. Think about it, you can get UV protected sunglasses for $10, yet a $70 gauge has just a generic plastic lens? Unacceptable! If you're spending the money, buy the carbon Autometer gauges, IMO it's the only option.

Last edited by endeavour32; 10-13-2017 at 01:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AmiableDave (01-21-2024), Baja Rooster (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

UV protectant acrylic clear coat on the lenses? That should help.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thought I read somewhere that Autometer manufactures Livorsi gauges, or do I have company names mixed up?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest230
Thought I read somewhere that Autometer manufactures Livorsi gauges, or do I have company names mixed up?
Livorsi and Gaffrig are the same, I know that. I'm not sure about Autometer making Livorsi, it is possible though. Gaffrig and Livorsi are both in Greys Lake, IL and Autometer is in Sycamore, IL. All are within 20 miles of each other, so you may be right!

Last edited by endeavour32; 10-13-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.