Drives won't trim in >

Drives won't trim in

Notices

Drives won't trim in

Old 12-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drives won't trim in

Hey guys. I was trying a search on this, but couldn't come up with the exact issue. Both drives (was just one, but as of this season the port is starting with this issue) will trim out,but to trim in I need to use the force of the prop right before I come off plane to get the drives to trim back in. I was going to replace or rebuild the rams as they do not sag or shift while underway. Is there anything else I should check first or does this seem to be the trim cylinders seizing up? Since I'm going to be trailering again and not on a lift, I will need to make sure I will be able to get the drives in the water.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the trim pump making noise when you try to trim in.
If it is then check the lines on the cylinders.To see if they are broken or leaking.
If not then check to make sure the power is getting to the pump when the button is pressed and that you have a good ground.

Last edited by Warship2k15; 12-05-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Warship2k15
Is the trim pump making noise when you try to trim in.
If it is then check the lines on the cylinders.To see if they are broken or leaking.
If not then check to make sure the power is getting to the pump when the button is pressed and that you have a good ground.
The pumps are working. When I push the buttons they fire up and sound fine. I'm thinking it's just the cylinders. They have some years on them. I did not see any leaks and there is plenty of fluid still.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace the trim lines from the cylinders to gimble area.Then bleed them and try it.
you have nothing to lose since you should replace them periodically anyways.And 90 percent of the time its them.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Registered

DO they have some how to's on how to bleed those lines? It will be my first go at this.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you ever checked the filter screens in the pumps to see if something is going bad. Also lines could be sucking air if loose. a hydraulic line can suck air and not leak fluid. are your pumps mounted level or on a angle as in transom or firewall.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by class6
Have you ever checked the filter screens in the pumps to see if something is going bad. Also lines could be sucking air if loose. a hydraulic line can suck air and not leak fluid. are your pumps mounted level or on a angle as in transom or firewall.
I haven't checked the filter screens, but will definitely do that too. The pumps are on the firewall. The starboard has been doing this for 2 seasons. The port started this season and has not caught up to the starboard as far as how bad it is.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Try adding some oil
Old 12-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kvogt
Try adding some oil
Pumps are full. I check the fluid levels consistently.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil level is why I asked how level the pumps are mounted. Either way if they are tilted forward or back you could be sucking air into the line while running in choppy waters. I have to run mine over full with puketanks even though they are level just to keep from sucking air. Mainly on my tab pumps I'm always adjusting. And I run really thin oil in them to speed reaction time up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.