Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Raw Water / Fuel Lift Pump  Toast? >

Raw Water / Fuel Lift Pump Toast?

Notices

Raw Water / Fuel Lift Pump Toast?

Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Raw Water / Fuel Lift Pump Toast?

1996 7.4 MPI Merc. 0F861319

Port engine raw water / fuel lift pump pulley will not turn by hand when impeller housing removed and all tension off belt. Is this a sign of one or both of the pumps (RW/FL) being shot? Starboard engine assembly turns with fingers under the same conditions. Boat was just out a month ago and didn't exhibit any issues. Lube came pouring out of the screw hole upon removal so it didn't burn up in that regard.

If bad is there a trusted re-seller like the one on ebay multiple members have used with success for alternators? If so can you please point me in their direction?

Thanks for any insight you can lend.
Keith
Old 01-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Did you remove the fuel pump by chance? Also how did impeller look? It's possible the fuel pump arm came lose and or pin broke and is lodged. Just guess.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Lube came pouring out of the screw hole upon removal
If lube came pouring out then it was mixed with gas. Your fuel pump stated to leak and over time it became more gas then lube. This is a yearly or every other year have a look. If you can remove the top plug when cool (if you have two, or just one on top) and much of anything comes out, then there is a leak. It doesn't cost much to rebuild the pump and parts are available.

As for alternators, if you don't want to do it your self, I would take yours to a rebuilder and have them do it. Cost is cheap, or just buy a marine ALT from an ebayer and go with it
Old 01-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Registered

How thin was the lube and was it mounted on engine when taking the fill screw out. Also did it smell like fuel. Possible it was just over filled. Fuel would thin it out in a hurry. Did you ck the other side in comparison.

also inspect the shaft lobe for excessive wear after you remove the pump. AllDodge probably right but you should still be able to easily turn the pulley unless the lobe is welded to the fuel pump arm. I've never had mechanical pump seize up.

http://www.clubsearay.com/index.php?...intenance.918/

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-15-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Registered

Thanks for the below replies. Here's the info. you all asked for.

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Did you remove the fuel pump by chance? Also how did impeller look? It's possible the fuel pump arm came lose and or pin broke and is lodged. Just guess.
I did not remove the fuel pump. The impeller looked perfect after 1 yr. 5 mos., will probably go 2 years on it this time. I'm planning on pulling the fuel pump next to see if that frees the raw water pump pulley.

Originally Posted by AllDodge
If lube came pouring out then it was mixed with gas. Your fuel pump stated to leak and over time it became more gas then lube. This is a yearly or every other year have a look. If you can remove the top plug when cool (if you have two, or just one on top) and much of anything comes out, then there is a leak. It doesn't cost much to rebuild the pump and parts are available.

As for alternators, if you don't want to do it your self, I would take yours to a rebuilder and have them do it. Cost is cheap, or just buy a marine ALT from an ebayer and go with it
I last removed and replaced the lube over a year ago, it did smell like gas much more this time than last. I only have 1 plug. I'm good on the alternator, I was wondering if there is a good ebay reseller for the fuel and or raw water pumps as I see they are half the cost of OE.

Originally Posted by getrdunn
How thin was the lube and was it mounted on engine when taking the fill screw out. Also did it smell like fuel. Possible it was just over filled. Fuel would thin it out in a hurry. Did you ck the other side in comparison.

also inspect the shaft lobe for excessive wear after you remove the pump. AllDodge probably right but you should still be able to easily turn the pulley unless the lobe is welded to the fuel pump arm. I've never had mechanical pump seize up.

7.4L combo sea water/fuel pump maintenance | Club Sea Ray
Yes fuel smell and definitely not the viscosity of oil any longer. Fingers crossed that it's the fuel pump and not raw water pump as I'm finding the raw water pumps no longer have the mounting flange holes threaded for the impeller pump housing. I can't imagine having to thread nuts on the back with the limited access.

Last edited by Tractionless; 01-15-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Registered

For Archives:
To add to the above, here's the parts list to rebuild the sea water pump (if bad)
Bearing part number - 6204 (NTN)
2 Smaller Seals - 7464 (SKF)
1 front seal - 7690 (SKF)
Mercury/quicksilver wear sleeve and washer kit - 818745A1
...........and How-to How to: Rebuild your Mechanical Fuel/Sea pump Assy

Airtex P/N 60932 looks like the most cost efficient complete fuel pump (only) if one has to replace. I haven't found part numbers nor service kit for the fuel pump yet. Anyone have fuel pump rebuild kit part numbers etc.?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 PM
Registered

There was a few raw water/fuel pumps for sale in the swap couple weeks ago pretty reasonable. Couple less fuel pumps but were blocked off. Sounds like your fuel pump is going or gone but I'd pull it soon as u can and see if you can move the arm. Never in 35 years have I had one seize. Dig into and let us know.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Thanks for the below replies. Here's the info. you all asked for.

I did not remove the fuel pump. The impeller looked perfect after 1 yr. 5 mos., will probably go 2 years on it this time. I'm planning on pulling the fuel pump next to see if that frees the raw water pump pulley.

I last removed and replaced the lube over a year ago, it did smell like gas much more this time than last. I only have 1 plug. I'm good on the alternator, I was wondering if there is a good ebay reseller for the fuel and or raw water pumps as I see they are half the cost of OE.

Yes fuel smell and definitely not the viscosity of oil any longer. Fingers crossed that it's the fuel pump and not raw water pump as I'm finding the raw water pumps no longer have the mounting flange holes threaded for the impeller pump housing. I can't imagine having to thread nuts on the back with the limited access.
They all smell like fuel - I change the fuel pump oil @every oil change. If neglected they will fill with fuel and dilute the oil.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Registered

Loosened the tensioner pulley today and the raw water pump pulley still wouldn't spin. Pulled the fuel pump and viola, only fingertips to turn the pulley. Zero damage to the fuel pump and barely any wear to the arm (272 hrs.) and raw water pump shaft. Zero play nor grinding felt while turning the shaft.

Strange thing is I pulled the good engine fuel pump as well and I can only move the (good) arm as much as the (bad) pump arm that seems to be causing the pulley not to turn. I didn't think to swap them side to side (while at the boat) and have already ordered two new Airtex units which will be here Friday; thanks to Amazon Prime.

Stay tuned because if I put a new pump on and have the same issue I'm at a complete loss considering the raw water pump is now spinning freely etc. on its own.

Keith

Last edited by Tractionless; 01-16-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

only fingertips to turn the pulley
It should take a tad more then finger tips IF the impeller is in one piece, not hard though.
Note: there is a disk which rides on the cam lobe (item 17 and 18). It should turn easy with finger tips
Attached Thumbnails Raw Water / Fuel Lift Pump  Toast?-pump.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.