525SC Pig in a poke  *HELP PLEASE* >

525SC Pig in a poke *HELP PLEASE*

Notices

525SC Pig in a poke *HELP PLEASE*

Old 01-20-2018, 02:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525SC Pig in a poke *HELP PLEASE*

Looking at a 96 warlock 27 world-class with a straight haul (no step). Boat is a project but comes with a 525SC and what I believe is a early gen bravo 1 (1.5).

I Called mercruiser and serials are what came with the boat from factory, problem is I'm getting a "unique" story about the motor. Owner is not a wrencher ( he pays people to fix his stuff and doesn't check it) and he does not know a lot of the details. He claims it broke the cam "in multiple pieces" while being joy Ridden by an ex GF's son ( can't make this $hit up).

He says he got the whole motor rebuilt as he was not sure what went or didn't go through the motor. Then it sat for 5 years on a pallet not installed in the boat, and no oil ever put in it, he claims he has no receipt "can't find it and can't remember who did the work". I can see fresh sealer on the intake, water pump, dip stick, front cover, so it's had something done, I'm just not sure what.

He claims it's a 200 to 270 HR lake boat except for the 1 possible joy ride in the ocean. The original exhaust manifolds have been pressure tested and have pin hole leaks, he's got new manifolds but I'm wondering how it snapped a cam, especially a forged steel one, if that is in fact what happened, plus did it damage anything else??? Could it have been possible hydro lock from the leaking manifolds or reversion? (I think there cmi's that bolt on to the exhaust manifolds)

I don't know a ton but I'm trying to learn and more importantly I'm trying not to be the one getting poked here and I need to make a decision on the next 24hrs. What can I do quickly and easily myself to test, verify, check the motor and drive is what he's saying it is?

Price is Right if drive and motor are in working order.

Thanks for the help
525SC noob

Last edited by Mohavvalley; 01-20-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

A 96 boat with 270 some hours, exhaust has leaks and was only in salt one time. Motor not installed and maybe rebuilt, no receipts, next to no nothing.

Look at the boat as-is with a motor that will need to be rebuilt. If motor does not need to be rebuilt after its bought great, but if it does then that's OK as well. Person thought, is if there wasn't something wrong then the motor would be in the boat
Old 01-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like a cool boat. 525SC is a great motor. You’re always rolling the dice on a used performance boat. If the price is right pull the trigger and have it gone through if needed by a trusted mechanic.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 245 Posts

I would do your homework and not rush to make a decision, if you do it might bite you in th A$$, at least for me it does.

Put a camera down the spark plug holes to see what it looks like. Pull the valve covers off and inspect.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

The engine is only worth the sum of the parts and you’d be wise to pull the heads and pan off before installing it back in the boat.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

An engine with leaking exhaust that sat could have the exhaust valves rusted to the seats. When going to start it, it can wipe the cam lobes. I suppose it could break the cam instead. Lots of cams have cast cores.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen cams break, usually in two pieces. Never seen one break in multiple pieces.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
I've seen cams break, usually in two pieces. Never seen one break in multiple pieces.
Honestly I've never had a cam brake let alone in multiple places. I coulda sworn all mercs hi perf engines had billit cams. Aren't they the 561 crane cam that was used in multiple sc engines. The Gil's don't surprise me. Ive seen them crack in much less time even in fresh water. I'd just plan on 3k plus in adddition to purchase just to cover yourself at the very least. If the engine is out of the boat I'd have a leak down performed and would be a good time to take a quick look at the top of the pistons.

Something just seems a little off but maybe not.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen a hyd flat tappet cam like the 525 used just break...not to say has not happened, but ?? without reliable paperwork, and a damn good crystal ball, pulling it apart is the only way you are going to know anything..which is what I would do..
Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

I know I've had bigger cams in mopeds. Those are so easy on valvetrain etc. that's the beauty of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.