Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Challenge! Need a 8.1 VP mechanic in southern va or northern va. >

Challenge! Need a 8.1 VP mechanic in southern va or northern va.

Like Tree9Likes

Challenge! Need a 8.1 VP mechanic in southern va or northern va.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Registered

Default Challenge! Need a 8.1 VP mechanic in southern va or northern va.

I had a local certified VP mechanic in Norfolk va. install a Jasper long block in my Cobalt. 1st run overheated and fried the motor 2nd block same. 3rd block runs rough overheats when running above 3200 rpm. Jasper kept dishing out long blocks to this mechanic. New t-stat, new water pickup tube. New recirc pump, new raw water pump, new risers & manifolds. Fuel injectors cleaned, new plugs & wires. When you rev the motor and bring it down quick it dies. Try to hold 1500 rpm in neutral impossible, rpm up & down. I could have bought a new boat for what this so called mechanic has charged me. There has to be an 8.1 420 hp VP genius out there.
[email protected]
Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boat: .......32............. ............Active Thunder....

Problem 1 = Jasper Junk
Problem 2 = Mechanic

Why would you have to pay for anything besides the first engine and install labor??
What happened to the original engine???
SB likes this.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:01 AM
Registered

I bought the boat with original engine cracked block. Not winterized proper.
Anyways I am where I am and looking for a mechanic that can fix my problems.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:59 AM
Registered

My Boat: 2000 33 Scarab AVS

Couple hrs from you probably, but Ed Trainer Jr at Anchor Marine in North East Md is good with Volvo stuff.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Registered

Thank you!!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:54 PM
BUP
Registered

I am available in 2.5 weeks. possible others can verify that I could handle any 496. . Just taught a Volvo class on Tuesday as well.
Griff, Sydwayz, 1BIGJIM and 4 others like this.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:22 AM
Registered

Default Challenge 8.1 Volvo Penta

Where are you located? 2 1/2 weeks works for me.
I am in Norfolk va. Also would like shift & throttle cables replaced. Oh TX. A little far for me to travel.

Last edited by Muttaro; 01-26-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Registered

My Boat: Checkmate 251 Convincor(sold),Checkmate 253 Convincor(sold), 50 gibson, 21 Eliminator Daytona, 25 Sportcraft Center Console

did he scan for codes ? sounds like running issues also killing it...I'm betting the fuel filer is plugged, and in volvo's wisdom in some if not all you must replace the fuel pump(not cheap) for a dumbass setup. If its running lean, will overheat and kill it quick, had one do it from lack of use and alcohol B/S gas
Old 01-27-2018, 03:24 PM
BUP
Registered

Volvo are set up differently than Mercruiser. One example alone - close cooling for Volvo is an option and for Stock Merc all 496 are closed cooling. There is alot of different parts between the 2. Including the the ECM / PCM for Volvo inwhich was MEFI 4 or E controls DEPENDING on the year of the Volvo. E controls is way better than Merc PCM 555 plus with less failures. Heck even MEFI 4 has less failures than PCM 555 and ECM 555 if one wants to compare.

An area often missed ------ The fuel injectors - any marine shop for rebuild or long blocks needs to have that end completely checked out, including all fuel system related parts. If one buys a new or reman Long Block from Merc or Volvo - and DOES NOT have proof to validate the injectors were good and flow tested properly - One voids the warranty automatically. - Why because for the marine side of the coin - the OEMS know this can be a possible cause of the failure to begin with. One has to find what caused the failure(s) first and focus there before repowering. failures even come from the boat side as well. Example the fuel tank for another area causing failures.

If you need any fuel injector help. You know where to find me. HERE and I know Volvo set ups like the back of my hand.

Last edited by BUP; 01-27-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:42 PM
BUP
Registered

Originally Posted by Muttaro View Post
Where are you located? 2 1/2 weeks works for me.
I am in Norfolk va. Also would like shift & throttle cables replaced. Oh TX. A little far for me to travel.
I travel to many around the USA once per month. Or some bring them here to me.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser