Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mechanical outdrive indicators >

Mechanical outdrive indicators

Notices

Mechanical outdrive indicators

Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

I had the same issue on my 292, replaced the indicator cables. Found the applicable replacements on Amazon. The part number is stamped on the cable. It is less grief to do them all at once. I started by replacing one then the next weekend, the other drive cable snapped so I did the other three. Used the old cable to fish the new cable up to the helm.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'll start with plunger, thanks for the advice.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

just unscrew it from the end of the cable, roll it on a flat surface and see if it wobbles.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

The cables develop kinked places in the bend between the transom fitting and the actuator housing - especially if the boat is stored with the drive turned to one side.
As people said - it's EITHER the black plastic actuator rod binding in the housing, OR it's a kink in the cable. If you look closely for a kink, you will see it. While the housing is apart for you to check the plunger, hold the cable in the exact position it is in when it binds and move the cable in and out fully. There should be hardly any drag, and whatever drag there is, it shoudl be consistent and not have a tight spot.

Cables are not expensive, and are not that HARD to swap out, but chances are your boat has 27 zillion zip ties, electrical tape, and rusty breadsack ties holding wiring and crap to the cable bundle. Every one of those will have to be cut loose.

MC